Crusty Bump on Dog's Face

Around 3 weeks ago, I noticed a tiny pimple-like bump on my dog's face. Its now turned crusty and hasn't changed in around 2.5 weeks.

I've heard that it could be anything from a wart to papilloma to melanoma, and while I don't think it's serious, I would like to know what to do, if anything. She has no other symptoms and the bump is not bothering her at all.

She is around 18 months old, mixed breed, 60 lbs, short blonde fur.

Comments for Crusty Bump on Dog's Face

My Online Vet Response for: Crusty Bump on Dog's Face

Hello,
From your photo, the young age of your dog (18 months), and how quickly this crusty bump appeared, this is a benign papilloma. See our page on Dog Warts to learn more.

The appearance of these growths in young dogs seem to be associated with too many vaccinations. In holistic medicine this 'syndrome' is called vaccinosis. Treatment with the appropriate homeopathic remedy will help to treat vaccinosis, improve the health of your dog, and make these growths/warts/papillomas disappear and prevent the appearance of new ones.

In many cases, just improving the health with a good diet (such as a RAW diet...no DRY DOG FOOD) seems to help boost the immune system so the growths/papillomas go away.

Of course, it is important to STOP vaccinating. A holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form for your dog.

Thank you / Follow-up

Thank you for your comments. She was only vaccinated when I first got her at 3-4 months, and has been raw fed ever since. So what else might you suggest to support her immune system?

Hi,
"She was only vaccinated when I first got her at 3-4 months, and has been raw fed ever since".

Excellent!! She may not need any treatment at all. The 'bump' may just disappear on its own in 3-6 weeks. You might apply some topical Thuya ointment one time daily for 3 weeks to hasten the process.

"So what else might you suggest to support her immune system?"

If this growth remains, grows larger or new ones appear, then seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to prescribe a homeopathic remedy for her, based on her 'whole' constitution. And to write an exemption so she will not receive any more vaccinations.

Please continue to keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Gone!
by: Phyllis

I'm happy to report that the bump is completely gone. I had bought her some topical thuja but didn't use it. I ended up giving it away to a customer's dog who had similar bumps on his face, and they went away very quickly. I really appreciate this service being here to put my mind at ease.

Hi Phyllis,

I suspect the bump went away due to the healthy RAW diet you feed her, and also giving her very few vaccinations!

"I really appreciate this forum being here to put my mind at ease"

You are very welcome!