Corneal Ulcers & Other Eye Problems in Boxer Dogs

by SHIAMI
(Sydney , Australia)

I have a boxer who is a 1 year old. Since November he has had his eye scratched nearly 6 times... well, that's what we think as my younger plays rough with my older boxer & they do mouth & paw a lot.

The first time it turned out to be a slightly deep ulcer which cleared up in 7 days doing the stain test. The rest of the times they healed within a couple of days with some anti-inflammatory & antibiotic ointment.

I used METACAM for a couple of days when this happened and so far I must have gone through about 10 doses in the 6 months as I only give it the first day or two when he comes inside after a play. When his eye is sore and he starts pawing at it like crazy, we attend to it right away & it does the trick.

We did question ourselves as to why it happens so often and took him to a eye specialist as I knew that Boxers are prone to these. The eye specialist advised that it is something that he is going to often come up with & that instead of going into invasive surgeries we approach it with some ointment & medications Like METACAM or DIPIRIN. So far his LEFT EYE which always bears the brunt has a slight scar which is not an ulcer but more so a fat deposit (sort of like we have something on our eye glasses) which might be permanent. His right eye (the good eye) however had a few ingrown eyelid hairs (maybe 3) but the eye specialist didn't mention anything needed to be done.

I'm looking for a more natual solution to this instead of METACAMS & ointments. I did read a article about COD LIVER oil - is that an option?

My dogs are RAW DIET FED & they eat chicken carcasses, beef, livers, etc. If they already consume liver is it still necessary to give them COD LIVER OIL (too much VIT A?)?

I also have another vet who has recommended Saline solution with perhaps 5% of ALOE VERA in the purest form from health shops mixed & dropped in the eye also seems to do the trick, but my concern is if he has inflammation won't this hurt??

In short he seems to be the kind of boxer who is prone to eye injuries. I need advise on improving his eye health, some sort of lubricant to keep his eye moist or things like that. They are our babies & any advise in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shilpa

Comments for Corneal Ulcers & Other Eye Problems in Boxer Dogs

My Online Vet Response for: Corneal Ulcers & Other Eye Problems in Boxer Dogs

Hi Shilpa,
For your one year old Boxer, November 2011 to the present May 2012, in Australia, this would be his first summer, would it not?

You mentioned that "when he comes inside after a play, his eye is sore and he starts pawing at it like crazy". I suspect that his eye is not 'sore' it is ITCHY, and he probably is suffering from inhaled allergies. He is scratching his face, and rubbing his eyes and he is causing the injuries to his eyes himself.

The Metacam is an anti-inflammatory and would decrease inflammation.

I do want to make sure that your Boxer dog does NOT have an 'indolent' ulcer in his eye. These are painful, slow healing lesions (take weeks to months to heal) that are confirmed with a fluorescein eye stain. Therefore, if his eye has been stained after it has healed, and the stain is negative, then he does not have an indolent ulcer.

His left eye seems to be the weaker eye, as it has a corneal defect (fat deposit within the corneal stroma). And the right eye has some ingrown hairs on the eyelid. If these are not rubbing on the cornea, then they will not bother him.

Cod liver oil is great to use in the eye, as it acts as a topical lubricant to moisten the cornea and help it heal. You can add it to the food, but it is not necessary in his case.

You are correct that it sounds like he has adequate Vitamin A in his diet already from the beef, liver and other raw ingredients that make up each meal.

I am not familiar with the use of topical 5% aloe vera in the eye, so I cannot recommend it.

He needs to have relief from the inhaled allergies! Continue his RAW diet! Also...

1. Add Omega 3 fish oil--1,000mg two times daily to food.
2. Apply Cod Liver oil 1-2 times daily to BOTH eyes.
3. Artificial tear ointment 2-3 times daily in Both eyes (Probably only needed during the 'allergy' season.)
4. Antronex by Standard Process, a glandular supplement, added to the food. Antronex acts as liver supplement to help the liver remove histamine. So, it acts like an 'antihistamine'.
5. Homeopathic remedies can be very useful. If these ulcers appeared after his first vaccination, then the remedy Thuya would be very helpful. If he has NO other symptoms, only the eye problems, Silicea is a great 'eye' remedy for ailments for the eyes. A holistic veterinarian would be able to differentiate the proper remedy and dosing for your dog, by examining him in 'person', and guide you in his treatment.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Corneal Ulcers & Other Eye Problems in Boxer Dogs PART TWO

Hi Shilpa,
Here is the rest of my response:

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!

Ulcer boxer dog
by: Shiami

Thanks Dr Carol,

Its winter at the moment & Autumn before then so summer was till about Feb. He doesn't constantly rub his face at all. He has got beautiful glossy skin thanks to the raw diet. He only paws at his eye. Both my dogs never itch at all.

We know for sure it is his eye as its never a everyday thing perhaps he got something in there while playing on the grass or the dog is we take him to the vet & they notice a superficial ulcer by staining & surprisingly it goes away in two days of course with a pain med he stops pawing & heals very well.

We took him to opthalmogist to make sure & he gave the all clear saying he didn't have an ulcer & if he did it has healed just that the white cloudy spec on his left eye was the fat deposit of some sort & because he wasn't blinking or bothered by it on a close check he said he was fine so there you go... no indolent ulcers found.

I will start him on fish oil somehow he gets a bit of upset tummy with it so I had to stop for a while but will try to see if it works again .

Thanks for your advise - I appreciate it greatly
Shiami

Hi Shiami,
"I will start him on fish oil somehow he gets a bit of upset tummy with it so I had to stop for a while"

In that case, give him a smaller dose, only 250-500mg two times daily to prevent a stomach upset.

My apologies regarding my poor knowledge of weather in Australia! Perhaps, it has nothing to do with allergies! But, seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian, regarding ill effects of vaccines, or susceptibility to eye problems, would be advised!

Please do keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Eye problem 1 yr old dog

Thanks for the concern...here's an update: My dog is doing well he has no more eye issues so far so it must have been something. The eye specialist didn't find anything unusual said it was just unlucky that he scratched his cornea a couple of time playing with my older dog. Thanks f0r your advise.