Constant Dog Eye Discharge, No Infection

by Morgan T.
(Nashville, TN, USA)

My dog has had constant eye discharge that is sometimes dry and crusty but is also mucousy (no color) at times. Her eyes do not seem to bother her and she never rubs or paws at them. She does, however, hate to have near her eyes touched, wiped clean or to have eye drops administered.

I adopted her in July. She's now about 8 months old and is most likely a pit mix.

My vet initially thought it was conjunctivitis and prescribed combination antibiotic/steroid eye drops, however, after the entire course of the medication the discharge continued.

I recently moved and my new veterinarian confirmed that there is no infection, and since she doesn't appear to have any discomfort she recommends that we let it be.

I am still concerned about her eyes as the amount of discharge is very large and constant. I will wipe her eyes clean (with an eye cleansing wipe) and within 2 minutes there is more discharge. I want to make sure that she does not have dry eye, allergies, blocked tear ducts, etc. and that she is not experiencing any discomfort.

The picture shows her mucous discharge but is a much smaller amount than normal.

Comments for Constant Dog Eye Discharge, No Infection

My Online Vet Response for: Constant Dog Eye Discharge, No Infection

Hi Morgan,
What a cutie!!! You wrote that you adopted her in July at 5 months old. Was she having the discharge at that time? Had she already been spayed and vaccinated?

Or did the problem start AFTER she had been vaccinated?

From her photo, I can see that she has non-pigmented third eyelids (at the inner corner of a dog and cat's eyes they have another eyelid that can raise up to protect the eye). This third eyelid usually has pigment at the leading margin. When it is NOT pigmented, it is more sensitive to light, dust, mold, pollen, etc.

Just from the photo I can see that she does not have allergies, otherwise she would be constantly rubbing or itching at her face and eyes. Her breed is not one that is susceptible to clogged tear ducts... that is more common in short nosed breeds like Pekingese and Pugs. Dry eye (lack of production of enough tears) usually presents with very thick crusted dry matter adhering to the upper and lower eyelids and eyelashes.

If this is something secondary to the effects of a vaccination, then she should be treated with homeopathic remedies to treat 'vaccinosis'. If this is due to her own susceptibility from non-pigmented third eyelids, then I usually make sure the patient is VERY healthy:

1. NO 'over' vaccinations. I advise treating for vaccinosis and have a holistic veterinarian write an exemption form for her.

2. DIET-NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a RAW dog food diet.

Having enough moisture from the diet will ensure a healthy skin, hair coat, and clear eyes. Also, raw meat contains VITAMIN C. ALL animals make their own VIT C, except humans, monkeys, guinea pigs and the Mediterranean fruit bat.

So, WE need to have Vit C in our diet every day. But dog food companies do not need to add any vitamin C to dog food because dogs make their own. But if YOUR dog is NOT making enough vitamin C, and she had adverse reaction to vaccination that weakened her immune system, how will she heal? Where will she get enough vitamin C for her immune system? In a RAW dog food diet.

3. NO TOXIC FLEA OR TICK PRODUCTS--see our page on natural dog flea treatment. Check out EVOLV, a natural product made from cedar oil.