Cluster of Bumps Near Dog's Anus

by Kat

My dog Zeke has a growth near the anus that we first noticed about 3 months ago. It looks like a cluster of many small bumps that cover a 3-inch oval area where the hair seems to be falling out.

The bumpy growth does not seem to bother Zeke; he eats, plays, runs, defecates, etc. like normal. I don’t catch him licking it, and it doesn’t seem to hurt when he sits on it. Our other lab doesn’t seem to sniff Zeke’s growth or try to lick it either.

The vet wasn’t sure what the growth was and prescribed Simplicef 200mg and Prednisone 10mg for approximately 10 days. Then, he gave Zeke Hydroxyzine 50mg for approximately 7 days, but it didn’t change. Now it looks worse than ever.

The pictures above were taken today.

Zeke is a 70 lb., 2-1/2 year-old male yellow lab that we purchased from a reputable breeder. He's active with our other male chocolate lab who is slightly younger and was purchased from the same breeder. They are indoor/outdoor dogs, and swim in our pool daily.

They both eat Canidae dry dog food twice a day, they have regular check-ups, and they are up-to-date on all immunizations. Zeke takes Tri-Heart Plus monthly to prevent heartworm.

Thank you for helping us!

Comments for Cluster of Bumps Near Dog's Anus

My Online Vet Response for: Cluster of Bumps Near Dog's Anus

July 13, 2014

Hi Kat,
From the photos you submitted of this lesion on "Zeke", your 70 lb., 2-1/2 year-old male yellow lab, I am suspicious that this may be caused by irritation from laying on hard surfaces. Sort of like a very thickened callus.

Usually, this type of lesion will appear on a dog's elbow. Especially when they prefer to lay on concrete instead of their dog bed.

You did not mention if a skin scraping was done to check for Demodectic mange. These photos do NOT look like demodex, see our page on But it may be something to consider, considering it became worse after the cortisone and antihistamine.

If this appeared soon after a vaccination was given, then I suspect it is a benign growth or wart-like tumor.

In either case, I suggest that you include some *canned* Canidae into his diet, PLUS some RAW meat into his diet. (Actually, you can feed BOTH dogs the same). Approximately, 1/3 diet being RAW, 1/3 diet being canned, and 1/3 diet being dry. A 70 lb dog needs to eat 1,100 calories per day. Or, 550 calories per meal TWO times daily. You may have to check the labels for calorie content, or go on line to calculate how much to feed Zeke.

The addition of RAW and canned will help increase the moisture intake. A dry food diet alone will not provide enough moisture for his skin to be healthy.

The RAW meat will provide Vitamin C to help boost his immune system.

Next, massage coconut oil onto this area two times daily. I do not know if this will cause Zeke to lick it off, or cause the other dog to lick it. But, you need to try to massage it in, so it is not greasy, nor allow a thick residue to remain. Just enough to moisturize it.

Give the homeopathic remedy THUYA 30C, (Thuja occidentalis), this remedy is to treat 'vaccinosis'. A condition caused by giving too many vaccines to a susceptible individual that will result in tumors, warts, skin growths or cancer.

Give Zeke ONE pellet once a day for three days then one time per week for three weeks.

If easier, then dissolve ONE pellet into a 2 oz glass dropper bottle, fill with Spring Water, and shake or *succuss* the bottle by hitting it against the palm of your hand, 20 times. Give as above, 1/2 dropperful by mouth one time daily for three days, then one time per week for three weeks.

Also, I suggest that you give the heartworm preventive every 45 days, rather than every 30 days. It will provide protection, but decrease the amount of *drug* in his body.

I would also suggest seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to decrease (or stop), the 'regular' immunizations that you are giving to Zeke, by writing an exemption form.

After 3 weeks, (or sooner), if this is worse, please have a skin scraping done. And keep me posted!

Keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.