Cloudy Puppy Eyes After Vaccinations

by Cristal Lopez
(Los Angeles , CA, United States)

(A) 1

(A) 1

(A) 1
(A) 2
(A) 3
(B) 1

My puppy is only five months old got all 5 of his shots (DHLP, parvovirus, coronavirus, bordetella and rabies) on 6/18/14. The following Friday night we noticed that his eyes were bloodshot but we figured he was tired because we had a long day.

Saturday morning he didn't want to open his eyes, acting like they hurt him, and we noticed he couldn't see. And they looked cloudy. We took him to the vet and she didn't know what it was, said she thinks he probably got sprayed.

The vet found it unusual that we didn't bring him sooner, but this was an overnight thing. She gave us some eye drops and wants to see him again on Thursday.

Have you heard of a similar case? What could have caused this?

Comments for Cloudy Puppy Eyes After Vaccinations

My Online Vet Response for: Cloudy Puppy Eyes After Vaccinations

June 24, 2014

Hi Cristal,
Your puppy is suffering from an allergic reaction to the Adenovirus that is a part of the Distemper *DHPP* vaccination, that was given to him on 6/18/14.
D= Distemper
H= hepatitis/Adenovirus
P= Para-influenza
P= Parvo

The vaccine has caused, "allergic uveitis" (inflammation of the iris of the eye), often called *blue eye*, causing a drastic cloudiness of the interior of the eye.

Please take him to a Veterinary Ophthalmologist as soon as possible. In some cases the cloudiness will fade after 2 weeks, but in other cases in can lead to very serious problems. A veterinary ophthalmologist can do more specific tests, measuring the pressure of the eye to rule out glaucoma, and also check for any other serious problems.

I would highly suspect, that this is an adverse reaction to a vaccine. You should also give him the homeopathic remedy called Thuya. (Thuja occidentalis) 30C or 200C potency, for vaccinosis. Give him one pellet by mouth TWO times daily for 7-10 days. You may need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to find these higher potencies.

And above all else, DO NOT CONTINUE GIVING HIM ANY VACCINATIONS! You can have an exemption form written by a holistic veterinarian.