Cloudy, Discolored, Swollen Dog Eye with Dilated Pupil

by S. Warner
(Denver, CO)

Left Eye - Photo 1

Left Eye - Photo 1

Left Eye - Photo 1
Left Eye - Photo 2
Compare the left eye to the right
Lucky's Healthy Right Eye

Last night, Lucky (four year old female mix husky and possibly aussie) was holding her left eye closed and was in obvious pain, whining and rubbing her eye against my palm as well as pawing at it with frustration. Inspection showed it to be cloudy and discolored, pupil dilated and the eye was swollen.

Due to the very late hour, I didn't take her to the vet. I made a poultice with bentonite clay and purified water then covered her eyes with the poultice on wet cheesecloth (the Unbleached, grade 50). Within minutes she stopped whining and pawing at her eye; she went to sleep. It's been my experience that the bentonite minimizes inflammation and perhaps the swelling is what caused her such pain?
She wore this over night.

This morning I removed the patch. the clay drew a lot of discharge from her eye, only slightly tinged yellow. Her eye is more blue than it was last night although still appears quite yellow/brown, as you can see from the pictures. The swelling has gone down, though not completely, and her pupil remains dilated. The cloudiness seems to have disappeared however; and, Lucky is acting like she's feeling much better.

This little girl is an inside dog and she's only outside for our morning and evening walks/playtime and using the bathroom. She has eaten Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula chicken and brown rice since puppyhood, and I supplement her with home cooked food as well with eggs, ground egg shells, plain yogurt, raw carrots, chicken, rice, coconut oil, and such on occasion (not all at the same time or in the same day).

I feel awful for her. Any info you offer is going to be a MASSIVE help! I want to get her to the right vet, if needed. She is terrified of the vet and I'd hate to stress her out by taking her to several.

MANY MANY thanks!

S. Warner

P.S. I've attached a picture of her right eye as well for comparison; specifically color and pupil size

Comments for Cloudy, Discolored, Swollen Dog Eye with Dilated Pupil

My Online Vet Response for: Cloudy, Discolored, Swollen Dog Eye with Dilated Pupil

June 19, 2014

Dear S. Warner,

From the great photos you submitted of Lucky, it looks like she has uveitis. This is an inflammation of the iris of the eye. It will cause the pupil dilation, pain, and discoloration. Using the bentonite poultice was a great idea, but may only provide temporary relief. Uveitis is usually an immune mediated condition, and may start in one eye, then appear in the other eye, too.

Uveitis can be a potentially serious condition, it may be something completely different, but I advise taking her to a veterinary ophthalmologist for an eye exam. Give her a LOT of Rescue Remedy before the trip, http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pet/.

The cause may never be found, but I am always VERY suspicious of vaccinations. Giving her homeopathic remedies to treat vaccinosis, and avoiding future vaccinations would be advised. Of course, this would require taking her to a holistic veterinarian for an exemption form.