Cloudiness in Dog Eye is Spreading

by Stacey
(Winchester, VA, USA)

Current problem

Current problem

Current problem
Fight Injury

In the past two weeks or so I have noticed a cloudiness in my dog's eye that started near the corner (tear duct area) and move inward spreading up and down. Its bluish, cloudy and sometimes looks reddish, even bloody.

I can't really tell if its caused a loss of vision...as she hasn't changed behavior or bump into things. She doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort, but I'm concerned that its not getting better.

I don't have a holistic vet nearby and I'm afraid to return to the same vet as they don't provide too many real answers for healing by looking at the cause. However, I trust him completely for any emergency or surgical needs. I hoping that from the picture you can tell me if this is a situation that requires my vet.

Sorry, but as I was just adding pics I noticed a picture of her that I took after she got in a tussle with one of my neighbors dogs. I'm not sure if its related but it was about a month, month and a half ago and the injury is to the same eye!

Also, please note that she has brown drainage from that eye. Before changing her diet and giving supplements she had always had a bit of brown drainage. However that had mostly cleared up (and is still clear on her right side) but came back with the other symptoms.

History...

Spotty is an 11 year old jack Russell. She had parvo (according to a vet) as a puppy and somehow pulled through. She has had incontinence issues since she was spayed. Its gotten worse as she has aged. It started out only happening rarely and gaining in frequency until it would happen most times she would lay down and relax and now even sometimes when she is just sitting and still awake.

She has been very active and somewhat obsessive about ball playing. She is intelligent and dominant over most other dogs. Always sweet with kids and people, even strangers.

About 8 months ago all of sudden she stopped putting weight on her back right leg and wouldn't stand even to eat or drink and seemed in pain.

There was an immediate and marked change in her personality and energy. She had diarrhea and seemed near death. The vet said it was acute arthritis. She did have a history of her knee cap slipping (or so the vet told us if i remember correctly).

The vet suggested (8 months ago) the medication Rimadyl. I tried it, knowing it wouldn't help heal her but gave it as temporary relief. I only gave her the one bottle prescribed and weaned her off of it slowly just in case.

Meanwhile I changed her to a grain free food, as I had just learned of the unhealthiness and inflammatory qualities of grains. I also started giving her Nordic naturals omega 3 pet, standard process canine musculoskelatal support, a tiny bit of white oak bark, and American Biosciences DGP.

I also had a chiropractor friend look her over and adjust her a few times. Meanwhile she has greatly improved..is back to her old charisma, runs, plays and dominates again.

Comments for Cloudiness in Dog Eye is Spreading

My Online Vet Response for: Cloudiness in Dog Eye is Spreading

Hi Stacey,

From the photo you sent of Spotty's eye, it looks like a very serious problem. Either the cloudiness is within the cornea or it is inside the eye, obscuring the entire anterior chamber, (iris and pupil are not visible).

She should be seen by a veterinary ophthalmologist for a diagnosis, first, before seeing a holistic veterinarian.

I am worried that it may even be a tumor. If she had an infectious condition, or this started from trauma, she would be exhibiting pain, and either rubbing or squinting that eye.

Regarding her past history with the arthritis, you did a marvelous job with treatment, supplements and diet!

--------------------------------------------------

need attention as soon as possible NEW
by: Carser

Well, this is something you need to take care of immediately. If this continues to spread like this, it is more likely that your pet may be losing the eyesight very soon. Don’t be such a cruel to your pet. ::: Telesteps Ladder :::

My Online Vet Response for: Cloudiness in Dog Eye is Spreading NEW

June 18, 2015

Dear Carser,
Thank you for your comment. Hopefully, Stacey did take Spotty in to the Ophthalmologist after I urged her to have an exam and treatment done asap!

She never did send us a follow-up, and as that was 2 years ago, (February 2013), I do not know how Spotty is doing now.

Again, we appreciate your input.