Closed, Watery Dog Eye

by Tasneem
(Cape Town, South Africa)

This is how his eye looks on the occasions when it is open, still slightly smaller and eyelid looks a little thick

This is how it looks when it is partially closed and watery
Also closed and watery
This is when he is closing it tightly, I feel it shaking when I put my hand over the eye area and he tries to rub it al lot

About a month ago my 8 month old staffordshire bull terrier named Coal started to close his right eye slightly and it started watering every now and then.

About 2 months before that he had a small cornea ulcer on his left eye, took him to vet, used octin eye drops, atropine eye drops and artificial tear gel, within a week it was better, continued with tear gel now and then.

When I saw the right eye smaller then the left and slightly closed and watering I first started by using saline water drops twice a day and washing the eye out, after a week there was no change. Then I used the cornea ulcer drops that I still had from the time before, after 5 days no change, it just seemed to irritate his eye more.

Thought it might be allergy related because his skin does itch abit and he has a bald patch on his tail from way back and a bald patch with a sore/scab on the side of his face, so I gave him allergex tablets (researched it can be used and works for dogs) when he had the allergex his eye seemed to open a lot more and be less irritating, but sometime would be closed even with the tablet. Then decided to take him to the vet rather.

Did the dye test for corneal ulcer, dye didn't settle in one spot but a very little of the dye seemed to settle across the eye in fine lines after it was washed out.

She said it could be tiny surface scratches but not sure, would have to see eye specialist, which is very expensive. Then she said it could be caused by allergies so she gave an anti inflammatory injection and prednisone tablets which he is currently taking (seemed to work for the body itching, he is not trying to rub his body against things sine starting) and ISEE eye ointment which I used for 3 days now but think I should stop because it seems to irritate him even more.

This is so confusing because sometimes during the day his eye is open and sometimes closed and sometimes closed very tight. He seems to close it knowingly because his eye shudders a little ( if you try to close your one eye shut very tight you can feel your eye kind of shudders a little, that's how his eye feels).

When his eye is open it doesn't look red or sore on the inside, his lids do look a little swollen though. And in pictures before this occurred it did not look like his lid of that eye curled into his eye, it looked normal the same as the left eye. But now when he closes his eye shut and I try to open it does look like his lids curl in, don't know if that's because he's closing it so tight. And he paws at his eye and tries to rub it on the grass or his pillow quite a lot, especially in the morning it seems.

So something is clearly annoying or itchy or sore.

He doesn't have any kind of discharge other than the usual eye boogers in the morning which I clean. I don't know what the cause could be. I wash their bedding once a week, I wash them every two weeks with natural shampoo.

They are on a BARF diet for about 5-6 months now ( raw beef, beef bones, chicken, sardines, duck necks and vegetables), we changed from eukanuba because they seemed to get skin allergies ( red itchy spots) from the grain in the pellets we guessed. We first changed to earthborn then to BARF. Their skin has cleared up since being on BARF. Except for Coals tail where there is still a bald patch but no sores and his cheek with a bald patch and small sore. I rub coconut oil on it once a day.

He has had all his inoculations and rabies shots and dewormed every 2-3 months. They live outdoors. They are only allowed on the grass at certain times when we are outside, maybe a grass allergy? But why did it only start now then? It is allergy season here in Cape Town now. I am at a loss, I don't know what to do for him anymore. What could be causing this? And is there anything I can do?

Hopefully I won't have to go and see the eye specialist and you can help me to make his eye better so he can be a carefree dog again.

Regards,
Tasneem

Comments for Closed, Watery Dog Eye

My Online Vet Response For: Closed, Watery Dog Eye

October 31, 2014

Hi Tasneem,
The photos do not show a clear close-up of Coal's right eye. But from your history, I am suspicious that he may have ingrown eyelashes that are irritating his cornea. These eyelashes are very small, straight, and grow on the inner edge of the eyelid. In some cases a good magnifying glass is needed to see them.

The longer they cause irritation, the more painful the eye. Another condition, where the eyelid turns inward, is called 'entropion'. This is VERY irritating, painful, and damaging to the cornea. That might explain the positive fluorescein 'dye' test, showing the scratches on his cornea. To remove the eyelashes, they can be 'tweezed' out, but can grow back. Or electrolysis can be done to permanently remove them. Entropion surgery is sometimes needed to correct the inward turning of the eyelid, or if the condition is not too severe, using artificial tear ointment every 2-3 hours to lubricate the cornea can be helpful.

Since Coal is mostly an outside dog, this might be very difficult to maintain.

I suggest that you take him to a specialist. Even though that will be expensive, Coal is in pain, and he needs a diagnosis to find out what is wrong. If he has 'dystichia' (ingrown eyelashes) or entropion (inward turning of the eyelids) the ophthalmologist will be able to correct it. There is no 'holistic' solution.
The allergy medicine probably helped 'temporarily' because it relieved some of the swelling of the eyelids, but that is not a permanent solution, nor a healthy one.

I do commend you on feeding him a great diet!! And advise that you continue the BARF diet. Also, rather than deworming every 2 months, would it be possible to just have a fecal done to check for parasites? De-worming drugs are not that healthy to be given that often, and if he has a poor immune system, the fewer drugs you give him the better.

I am not sure why he continues to have a bald patch on his face and hindquarters, unless he has a small area of Demodex mange? This is diagnosed with a skin scraping. See our page on Demodex.

http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/how-to-treat-dog-mange.html#Demodectic

Closed watery eye

Hi Dr. Tillman
Thank you so much for your advice. Yes I have an appointment with the ophthalmologist on Tuesday morning, soonest I could get. I think it could be what you have mentioned, I also did some research and thought it could be blepharitis because of the swelling and thickness of the outer eyelids, what do you think? But I am hoping the opthamologist can sort it out once and for all and give poor Coal some relief. I will definately continue with this diet and do the dewormer much less often. What in your opinion is the best allergy medication for enviromentally triggered allergies that I can give him safely? He was tested for mange and it was negative, but I will have a read through the page you advised, maybe something on there will help for him. I will update after I have been to the opthamologist.
Regards

November 1, 2014

Hi Tasneem,
Since the definition of 'blepharitis' is inflammation of the eyelids, I agree, that is Coal's problem. And the reason it is worse in the right eye is because he has rubbed it and caused a corneal abrasion, making it worse than the left eye. Or he has the ingrown eyelashes in that eye, causing it to be irritated more than the other eye.

You asked,
"What in your opinion is the best allergy medication for environmentally triggered allergies?"

Allerplex by Standard Process. It may be available on amazon.com. This is a glandular product, very safe. It is one that I recommend in place of using 'antihistamines'. I am not sure if it is available in South Africa.

https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Allerplex#.VFVTFShK420

Of course, a healthy diet, and if the immune support, and Allerplex from Standard Process is not helping, then resort to homeopathic remedies from a holistic veterinarian.

I am very interested in the diagnosis from the ophthalmologist.