Circular Red Dog Rash on Belly

by Rohitasva
(Plymouth, MN, USA)

Pic of belly

Pic of belly

My dog has developed a circular rash on his belly, its all clear in the middle (same color as his skin) with a little crusting on the circular lining.

He is current on all his meds and vaccines. We also use tick prevention for him from spring to fall.

He doesn't seem to pay any attention to it unless we are examining it.

Comments for Circular Red Dog Rash on Belly

My Online Vet Response for Circular Red Dog Rash on Belly

Hi Rohitasva,
This rash is typical of what is called superficial pyoderma. It is usually caused by a bacteria commonly found in the skin. It will start in the hair follicle, creating a 'pimple'. The pimple will pop and leave this ring, called a collarette. And the hair(s) will fall out, leaving bare skin.

It is not unusual for owners to mistake it for ringworm. It is NOT ringworm, and it is NOT contagious to humans or other dogs.

It is commonly seen in dogs with a poor immune system, that are over vaccinated, and are on a poor quality dry dog food diet.

Here is what I would suggest:
1. Bathing 2 times per week for 4 weeks, then ONE time per week for 2 weeks, then one time per month maintenance.

2. Use a Natural flea/tick treatment. See our page for Dog Flea Medicine.

3. Improve the diet--NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a raw dog food diet.

4. No more dog vaccinations. You may need to find a Holistic Veterinarian for an exemption form.

5. Boost the Immune system, with Immuplex from Standard Process. Add 1 capsule to his food (open capsule and sprinkle on food), two times daily. And with OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder

Click here to find a holistic vet near you.