Chiweenie with tumor

by Lynda Barkley
(Atlanta, GA)

zoomed in view

Four or five weeks ago I noticed a small lump on the right side of my Chiweenie, Millie. Her vet said it was nothing serious, that even if it grew and we had to remove it it was unlikely to be anything serious. A second vet said it was somewhat hard and attached to something deeper than the skin and recommended surgery. FNA wasn't going to work, he thought.

I started looking into surgery alternatives, and to make a long story short, got nowhere. The vets that had experience with less invasive methods (neoplasene,homeopathy, whatever) are out of town. A healthcare practitioner at a health food store gave Millie homeopathic and herbal drops, mainly for calming her, and the seemed to make the tumor grow. The lump had not grown until we started with the drops, maybe just coincidental.

She is scheduled for surgery in the morning. I got nervous when it started to grow and made the appt. I could go down lots of supplement roads till I found something that worked, meanwhile bad things could be happening inside her. I believe this is the right thing to do. I will look to the supplements, and one of my doctors, afterwards, depending on what it is.

I definitely don't want a biopsy. I want it to be removed intact if possible.

She is a very sensitive and emotional dog and I think that is a factor. I know that some tumors in people and dogs have emotional trauma roots. Millie was lost for 5 days back in March. Had to be traumatic for her. And she is traumatized in little ways every day. Also, she's been more nervous since this lump showed up. And for the last 4 or 5 days her eyes look different, a little squinty.

So I would very much appreciate your perspective and advice. Thank you, Lynda B.

Comments for Chiweenie with tumor

My Online Vet Response for: Chiweenie with tumor

Hi Lynda,
You will get a different opinion from each veterinarian depending on their background, where they attended vet school, their interest in surgery, and whether or not they are conventional or holistic. The bottom line is what YOU feel is right for Millie.

On the one hand, surgery is certainly NOT a holistic treatment, but on the "plus" side you will know if this lump is malignant or benign and also if it was completely removed.

The BEST outcome would be if it is benign and completely removed. The worst outcome would be if it is malignant and NOT completely removed.

Either way, the fact that Millie has developed this lump, (whatever it is) tells us this:

1. She has a compromised or weakened immune system. In Chinese Traditional Medicine, the Qi is blocked or stagnant. In Homeopathy, her Vital Force has created this 'external' manifestation of internal disease.

2. Vaccinations affect the immune system. In homeopathy, this is called 'vaccinosis'.

3. Poor Diet, such as DRY Dog Food, does NOT support a healthy immune system.

4. Toxic flea and tick products can adversely affect the immune system.

5. Emotional imbalance/upset over a long period of time can cause PHYSICAL disease. See this site on Bach flower essences:
"Health depends on being in harmony with our souls"
Dr. Edward Bach M.B, B.S., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P, D.P.H

Therefore, no matter what the outcome of her surgery, I would advise the following:

IMPROVE HER IMMUNE SYSTEM

1.NO MORE VACCINATIONS- seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for her.

2. DIET-see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and especially consider a RAW dog food diet

3. Use Natural Dog Flea Treatment

4. Use Rescue Remedy and/or a combination of Bach flower essences for Millie's emotional well being.

5. Immune support:

a) Immuplex - open and add 1/2 capsule to Millie's food two times daily.

b) OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Chiweenie with tumor PART TWO

Hi Lynda,
Here is the rest of my response.

c) Missing Link powder for dogs

Use a homeopathic remedy based on her individual constitution. Or Chinese herbs such as Wei Qi Booster (to 'boost' her Qi).

Results of Chiweenie with Tumor
by: Lynda

I am thanking GOD, and my vet, for Millie's recovery from the tumor. We did surgery and the tumor was completely removed. I am so thankful!!! My vet thinks the tumor was probably a reaction to the rabies vaccination. This is not common, of course. You might want to look into why this happens. Millie gets a high- quality food and is healthy and energetic.

Hi Lynda,
Thank you for the update on Millie. I am glad that she is doing well and the tumor was completely excised. Did your veterinarian tell you what kind of a tumor it was? Post vaccination tumors found in cats can be EXTREMELY malignant, (they are called 'vaccine induce sarcomas')and are not easily removed by just one surgery. Hopefully, since Millie is a dog, this was not that kind of a tumor.

In my previous posting I listed the variety of causes of tumors. And, the fact that Millie has developed this lump, (whatever it is) tells us this:

And I would advise that you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to recommend some homeopathic remedies to remove the effects of vaccinosis and to help a weakened Vital Force.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section