Chihuahua with congestive heart failure

by Patricia Barker
(Huntsville Texas)

My chihuahua has congestive heart failure from mitral valve disease. He is 8 years old and weighs 5.5 pounds and is taking vetmedin and lasix.

He is still coughing some, and the vet wanted to add enalapril but I would like to try Hawthorn tincture instead and I don't know how much to give him.

My question is: how much Hawthorn should I give to him by drops or by ML and how many times per day? The dropper is marked .25 ml, .50ml, .75ml and 1 ml.

I want to make sure with the meds he is taking that I don't give him too much. I love my little guy and this really breaks my heart.

Thank you, Patricia

Comments for Chihuahua with congestive heart failure

just wanted to add a few words
by: Patricia Barker

I just wanted to add info i did not put in post, the hawthorn tincture reads 1 ml =1gram, I looked it up and it says that means 1,000 milligrams per 1 ml.Thanks

My Online Vet Response for Chihuahua with congestive heart failure

Hi Patricia,
The dose for a 5.5 lb Chihuahua would be .05-.1 ml. (or 50-100 mg) 2-3 times daily of the Hawthorn tincture. Since tinctures are commonly mixed in alcohol, it might be more palatable to add the small amount to 1/2 tsp of chicken broth or beef broth (no sodium).

He should also be on a low sodium dog food diet. Dr. Pitcairn's book Natural Health for Dogs and Cats is a good dog health book for home prepared diets for dogs with congestive heart disease that need to be on a low sodium diet.

Also, CoEnzyme Q-10 is a good supplement for heart disease. Give him 10 mg two times daily in his food.

A holistic veterinarian might also be helpful to guide you in other questions, and to evaluate how he is responding. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Confused
by: Patricia Barker

Thank you for your answer ,but I'm still a little confused because the readings are not on my dropper - could you tell me about how many drops that is?

I will eventually take him to a holistic vet but with the recent test and meds I cant afford it right now. My regular vet did not know how to dose him and just said to give him one drop in his water everyday, but that did not seem right.

Thank you, Patricia Barker

Hi Patricia,
If your dropper had a mark at .25ml, then his dose is .1 ml. That means you need to give LESS than .25. If you look where the .25 mark is, then draw up the tincture to less than half of that mark. The halfway point would be .125 ml, and he needs actually less than .1 ml. It is not very much.

Sorry for the confusion.

Does that make more sense?

Baby is doing ok
by: Patricia Barker

Yes I did better understand and he appears to be doing ok with it. I ordered him some COQ10 and will start giving him that. I think I'm going to start making his food for him and my other 5 dogs.Thanks Patricia

Hi Patricia,
Thank you for the update on Baby. Keep us posted on how he is doing. You will be busy making all the food for 5 dogs!!

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Heart Problems Section,
- 10 Best Dog Food Options,
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section

Chi with Congestive Heart Failure

You should not give you dog anything with alcohol

Chi with Congestive Heart Failure

alcohol free

Only alcohol free products

My Online Vet Response for: Chihuahua with congestive heart failure

You are correct that alcohol containing products are not healthy for dogs. The Hawthorne tincture which I suggested, may not be available in a glycerin mixture. I therefore advised this dilution, .1 ml (which is about 1 drop) added to 1/2 tsp, which would be safe.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!