Chihuahua with Asthma

by Denise Money
(Nashville, TN)

I have a 3 month old Chihuahua and he weighs 1 pound. However, at times he wheezes a couple of times then does one cough and he's on his way. He has no anxiety. The vet said he had asthma.

I want to know the best dog food or homeopathic medicine or whatever would help him and where to get it. I'm looking for something for allergies. I'm hoping he will out-grow this but I think that he wont. His name is Gus. Thanks for your help.

Denise Money
Nashville, TN

Comments for Chihuahua with Asthma

My Online Vet Response for: Chihuahua with Asthma

December 19, 2014

Hi Denise,
Asthma at such a young age may be due to an adverse affect on the immune system from having a vaccination. In holistic medicine, this condition is called 'vaccinosis'.

Genetics can also play a factor. Especially if his mother, or any of his litter mates also have asthma.

DO NOT feed him any dry puppy food. For him to improve, he should be on a canned or better yet a RAW food diet. The lung tissue, especially, needs to have adequate moisture to function properly. See our page for 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. If he is eating a dry puppy food now, see if it comes in a canned version, and gradually add the canned to the dry and wean him off the dry food. If this brand is not available in a canned version, then look for brands with no preservatives, artificial colors or preservatives. Some good brands are Pet Guard, Nutro, Nature's Recipe, Innova, Halo canned, "Spot's Stew for Dogs", etc. Some good raw diets are Bravo, Primal or Nature's Variety.

He should be treated with homeopathic remedies more specific for vaccinosis, such as Thuya (Thuja occidentalis) or Sulphur. Or even the nosode Tuberculinum, may be useful for asthma.

And no more vaccinations! Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form and determine the best remedy for Gus.