Change of pigment from brown to pink patches around one eye

by gabriela

Change of pigment from brown to pink patches around one eye, slight eye boogers, no clouding of eye, loss of hair around eye (only one eye affected) Has 3 wk old pups (Pekingese) has had this 2 wks now but it seems to be getting to be a bigger patch.

Been using Polyspori drops a couple of times a day but to little affect. Does not seem itchy but looks weird with this pinkish ring around one eye. Sometimes looks swollen . Thought perhaps she buried a bone using her head to shovel dirt etc over it and got something in her eye but it hasn't cleared up as on previous occasions.

Looks scaley and the circumferance is increasing slightly which has me concerned. Almost looks like ringworm but I doubt it is that

Comments for Change of pigment from brown to pink patches around one eye

loss of hair pinkish ring around right eye
by: Gabriela

Am not computer literate... cannot find an answer to the question about the eye ring around my Peke's eye? How do I find your reply? You got my payment...

My Online Vet Response for: Change of pigment from brown to pink patches around one eye

April 7, 2015

Hi Gabriela,
Thank you for your patience, I apologize for the delay in my response. From the photos you sent, I am very suspicious that this may be caused by Demodex mites. See our page on 'mange',

This is not contagious to other dogs, but will flare up in an individual under stress, such as a new 'mom' with 3 puppies.

Over time, the mites can spread to the rest of her face. Diagnosis is done with a skin scraping. In the meantime, it would help to boost her immune system, improve her diet, (NO DRY dog food), and minimal to NO vaccinations.

Here are a few good immune system supplements that may help,

Another good one is Canine Whole Body Support by Standard Process, available on

A holistic veterinarian would do a skin scraping, and can write an exemption form for vaccinations.

patches around eye
by: Gabriela

My Pekingese had 8 puppies, now a month old. This eye thing came on during the first week. Last time she whelped she got Milk fever at 10 days (she birthed 9 pups but we lost 2) and had to have emergency calcium. This time I was told to just feed her good puppy food to avert this. Now she got this eye thing instead. Should I not breed her anymore? I really enjoy the extra income from the pups and the puppies spread joy to their new families but I don't want to put her at risk. It looked like ringworm which in the past I treated successfully with urine after all the doctor's potions didn't work. I applied a few drops by her eye and it did look better a bit but since I wasn't sure, am going to vet tomorrow to find out what she thinks, but your diagnosis makes sense.It looks like chicken skin around their eyes.They get mites too.