Chafing and Dog Hair loss from Gentle Leader Leash

by Craig
(Richmond, VA, USA)

I bought a gentle leader dog leash and had it put on incorrectly. After a few uses, my dog developed a bald spot on her muzzle, just under the left eye and around toward the mouth -- where the straps of the gentle leader chafed her skin.

She is a 1 year old Shepherd-mix.

1. Will her hair grow back?

2. What can I do to help preempt hair re-growth?

Thanks so much for your time: I love the idea of what you have -- not a big fan of going to the vet.

Best,

Craig

Comments for Chafing and Dog Hair loss from Gentle Leader Leash

My Online Vet Response for Chafing and Dog Hair Loss from Gentle Leader

Hi Craig,
If the hair loss is due to chafing from the Gentle Leader, it will certainly grow back. I think in question number 2 you meant to ask, How can you 'promote' hair re-growth? (not pre-empt)

By making sure the Gentle Leader is fitted correctly. If that brand is not going to work, there are several others you can check into, such as the Promise Halter, or 'Haltie'. Or you can 'custom' adapt the halter to be fitted with some lambswool, as in a horse's halter, to prevent it from rubbing the hair off.

Providing a good diet with adequate protein, the proper fatty acids and moisture (NOT a dry dog food) will also improve the hair coat. See our page on 10 Best dog food options.

I would certainly want to make sure there is not another problem causing the hair loss. In a young Shepherd, I would be concerned about the possibility of ringworm, M. canis (a fungus that is contagious to humans and other dogs) or Demodectic mange (caused by a mite, and is not contagious to humans or other dogs or cats.) Check our page on Dog Skin Conditions for more details on diagnosis.

For behavior questions, Dr. Ian Dunbar, a veterinary behaviorist in Berkeley, California, has an excellent web site.

If you have fitted the Promise Halter correctly but the hair loss continues, you should seek the help of a holistic veterinarian. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Follow Up Question
by: Craig

Thank You Dr. Tillman:
Is there any topical that you would recommend to promote healing of the affected area?
Best,
-C

Hi Craig,
No, there is not a specific topical cream to 'speed' up hair regrowth. His hair will be filled in completely within 2 weeks.

As I mentioned earlier, if there is another reason that the hair loss occurred and his hair is NOT growing back, or if there are new areas of hair loss and it is not due to the Gentle Leader, then I would advise seeking a holistic veterinarian for skin scraping, fungus culture, etc.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here and enter your zip code:

- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section.