Cat with Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

by Margaret R.
(Livermore, CA)

My cat has was diagnosed with the skin condition eosinophlic granuloma complex back in September. When we go her she had long lesions on the back of her two back lets. Also, her feet became inflamed.

We got her in August from the Valley Humane Society in Pleasanton. She is currently about a year old.

She was treated with an antibiotic and all of that cleared up. That was about three months ago. Since then she has had some outbreak on her side near the elbow and now she had a long lesion along the back of her left front leg.

She is currently on a diet of Prescription Diet z/d. She is an indoor/outdoor cat with a large backyard that borders on a creek. There are not other animals other than fish in her home. But there are grandchildren who are here weekly. The grandchildren do try to catch her from time to time, but generally treat her gently.

She is a domestic short hair. She is a very gentle cat. Doesn't like to sit on a lap, but loves to hang around us and likes to be petted for a short time. Sometimes sleeps on our bed, somethings doesn't.

When I took her to my vet Thursday, she was put on a steroid, prednisolone. We did try getting one dose down her and that was a disaster. I am not happy about putting her on a steroid in the first place and having to have a very difficult pill popping every night, just doesn't ring right with me. So my question is, how else might we treat this condition.

She doesn't seem overly bothered by the lesions, is eating well and is as active as ever.

Comments for Cat with Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

My Online Vet Response for: Cat with Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

March 12, 2014

Hi Margaret,
You did not submit a photo, but from what you describe, it fits the symptoms for Eosinophilic Granuloma complex in cats. It is odd that the lesions cleared up with an antibiotic three months ago. Eosinophilic Granuloma complex in cats is caused by an allergic reaction in the skin, not from an *infection*.

The immune system is overwhelmed, in some cases this is triggered by a vaccination. In other cases, due to food allergy especially to fish or dairy, or from stress being in a shelter, and adopted out, surgery of spay or neuter, or a combination of all of these together.

Conventional treatment is with steroids, in an attempt to decrease the inflammation, and suppress the immune system. In a young animal, I do not like to use steroids at all. And in your case, trying to give her pills, may be impossible!!

Here's what I suggest:
1. Decrease stress.
When they come for the weekly visit, keep the grandkids away from her, perhaps keeping her in a room by herself with her litter box, food, and water. Allow one child in at a time, if they MUST visit. Sprinkle catnip around, provide catnip toys, etc. A food treat that should be ok, Halo freeze dried Chicken Liv-a-Littles.
Add Rescue Remedy to her water. (this is the *original formula* it does contain alcohol) Add 2-3 drops to her water bowl one to two times daily for the next 4-6 weeks, to decrease her overall anxiety level.

2. Healthy Diet: NO DRY FOOD. Slowly transition her from the Z/D diet to a RAW diet. If she is eating dry Z/D, then gradually change her to canned Z/D, by adding a small amount of the canned to the dry, and feed only 2 times daily. Decreasing the dry little by little and increasing the canned. Once she is only eating canned, then slowly add in some raw diet, such as RAD CAT, (www.radfood.com or www.auntjeni.com) and slowly decrease the canned until she is only eating the raw diet.

3. NO MORE VACCINATIONS.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Cat with Eosinophilic Granuloma complex PART TWO

March 12, 2014

Hi Margaret,
Here is the rest of my response.

4. Homeopathic remedy. This is best prescribed by a holistic veterinarian that can examine her in person. She may need a remedy to counteract the effects of *vaccinosis* or she may need a more specific remedy for skin eruptions. Without seeing her in person it would be impossible for me to suggest one.