Cat scratched dog's eye

by Gina Henry
(Uniontown, Oh)

My cat just scratched my dog's eye. The scratch (it doesn't really look like a scratch it looks like a white area, where color is missing from the eye) is exactly in the center of the eye ball. There is no bleeding or watering but we can see a white spot.

He does not act like he is in pain. He is a 3 yr old cocker spaniel in good health. The cat is my cat who is indoor/outdoor and fully vaccinated.

Is it possible to treat this at home or let it heal on its own?

Comments for Cat scratched dog's eye

My Online Vet Response for Cat Scratched Dog's Eye

Hi Gina,
No, this is not something that I would recommend for a home treatment. The photo you submitted is too dark for me to tell what the corneal wound looks like.

Take him in for a veterinarian to stain the cornea. This is a diagnostic test to determine how badly the cornea has been damaged. There are fewer nerves in the cornea of a dog's eye, compared to a human. Therefore, just because your dog does not seem to be in pain, or he is not squinting does not mean the wound is insignificant. Dogs can even have a huge foxtail or grass awn in their eye and actually seem fairly comfortable, whereas if a human gets a hair in the eye, you cannot do anything until the hair is removed!

Having a cat scratch on the cornea can be very serious.

A conventional veterinarian can diagnose a corneal ulcer, and a holistic veterinarian can help give you some home remedies to use, once the injury is diagnosed. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

11 week old rotty pup with scratched eye

My cat scratched my puppy on the face and i thnk he got a scratch on hise right eye i took him to the vet and they gave me eye drops that contained the fallowing ingrediants

NEOMYCN AND POLYMYXIN B SULFATES AND BACITRACIN OPHTHALMIC OINTMENT , USP

With the ammount of germs that a cats scratch can potentially contain it is important to go get some kind of anticeptic eye drops to stop any sort of infection from forming.

Hello,
The ointment you listed for your puppy's eye, contains THREE antibiotics. (In fact, it is called a triple antibiotic ointment.) It is intended to 'kill' any bacteria that may have been put into his eye by the injury.

Use it three times daily for the next 3-5 days to help the scratch on his cornea heal.

It is important to return for a checkup, to make sure that the scratch has completely healed. If it has not healed, then you will need to continue the ointment for a longer time. In some cases that seem to be too slow to heal, it may be necessary to do a culture and sensitivity, and identify which bacteria is present, and which specific antibiotic is needed to treat it.

cat scratched dogs eye
by: crystal

our 4 month old puppy was scratched in the eye by our cat, we have already taken her to the vet, and they have placed her on the eye medications she needs. her eye is alittle swollen around the lids, and the medicine looks like its just sitting on her eye like a film. is this normal or should i take her back in today to see what that is?

My Online Vet Response for: Cat scratched dog's eye

Hi Crystal,

Yes, I would advise taking your puppy back and explaining the the eye ointment is NOT being absorbed, and it might be best to switch to medicated eye drops. Eye drops may have to be applied more often, but they will absorb much better. I am not sure what kind of eye ointment you are using, but Virbac makes an excellent product to heal corneal wounds. Perhaps this is something your veterinarian would prescribe.

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

scared and crying
by: carolina

i also had my 2 year old pomerian dog, and my daugther's cat scratched her eye and all i can see is a white lesion on the eye but it was so helpful what i read on this site and i made a choice to take her to the vet for treatment thank you for posting your comments i was so afraid and lost, your comments made me feel better

My Online Vet Response for: Cat Scratched dog's eye

Hi Carolina,
You are very welcome! I hope your Pomeranian's eye heals ok.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!

concerned also
by: Halo

My 9 month old chiwawa (taco dog) got scratched by a young outdoor cat today. Halo (our dog) has been squinting her eye a lot. I do not see a white mark or any kind of scratch. My husband eays halo will be fine that he has raised many cats and my dog just got in The cats bubble and halo needed to learn a lesson. should I be concerned for halo and her eye. What would be The worst. Thank-you.

My Online Vet Response for: Cat Scratched Dog's Eye

This is for 'Halo',

If he is squinting, it indicates that he is in pain. Cats carry a number of different bacteria and disease causing organisms on their claws. A cat scratch on the cornea can cause a serious infection in the eye, and/or leave a scar.

My advice is to seek the help of a veterinarian as soon as possible. It would not be prudent for me to try to advise you over the internet.

And while I'm happy to help, we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

9 week puppy scratched by sister-in-laws cat NEW
by: Akmom12

my puppy (Maximus) startled my sister in laws cat (Loki)coming out of her room and Loki lashed out getting Max pretty good in the eye..poor thing. that was a couple hours ago. now hes real nervous if me or one of my kids reach out to pet near his head, he can't open his eye fully, i'm pretty sure i see blood in his eye and discharge. I can't tell if the discharge is thick or watery or pus. Do I need to bring him in to the vet right away or can it wait till tomorrow??

My Online Vet Response for: Cat Scratched Dog's Eye NEW

Hi,
you wrote,
"My 9 week puppy was just scratched by sister-in-law's cat"

Yes, please take him in to an Emergency Clinic or a veterinarian ASAP. They will be able to flush the eye, and start some antibiotic drops plus give some topical pain drops to make him more comfortable.

Depending on the severity of the injury, they may refer you to an ophthalmologist if the cornea is severely punctured causing bleeding into the 'anterior' chamber where the pupil and iris is located.

4 month puppy NEW

My puppy may have been scratched in the eye. The black lid that is in the corner of right eye is slightly out a bit more than his other one. No blood coming out and one little drop of mucus but was fully white or pussy or red. It stopped since then. It happened a few hours ago. No agitation seen or effect on his eyesight. Slight redness in one side of the white part of his eye. I think if he was scratched it could have been the corner of his eye where the redness is and the black is slightly covering. Should I wait 24 hours? My mom worked with police dogs and said little minor cuts can heal quickly. Thoughts? Would human fake tears help flush anything out?

clarification NEW

The comment above is suppose to say that it wasn't red or like puss.

My Online Vet Response for: Cat Scratched dog's eye NEW

August 13, 2014

Thanks for your question. It has been over 24 hours at this time, and I advise that you take the puppy to a veterinarian *today* especially if he is squinting, the third eyelid is red, there is any drainage or the pupil is dilated.

Hopefully, he is ok, and back to normal.

I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).