Cat Lymphoma Treatment, Prevention & Causes: Best Holistic Approach

by Jerry
(Eau Claire WI)

My best friend Sylvester had cat lymphoma and recently had to be put to rest at age 10.

Are there any underlying causes that could have led to this? What is the average life expectancy of a cat with lymphoma and how does this compare? Is there anything I could have done to treat it holistically?

Also, when I am ready for a new friend, what are the thoughts on vaccinations and prevention as I would like to take a holistic approach.

Thanks,
Jerry

Comments for Cat Lymphoma Treatment, Prevention & Causes: Best Holistic Approach

My Online Vet Response For: Cat Lymphoma Treatment, Prevention & Causes: Best Holistic Approach

July 10, 2014

Hi Jerry,
First, I want to send you my deepest sympathy on your loss of Sylvester. Ten years old was much too soon to lose him.

In answer to the questions, you asked,

1. Are there any underlying causes that could have led to this?
Yes. A weak or poorly developed immune system.

This can occur from birth, if the mother had poor nutrition while pregnant, or it may be due to a hereditary predisposition.

Poor nutrition fed to the kittens and mother, such as all dry cat food.

Too many vaccinations, or even just ONE vaccination, can cause a weakened immune system.

Exposure to viruses, such as Feline Leukemia (FeLV) or Feline, Feline Immuno-deficiency virus, (FIV)

Exposure to toxic flea/tick products, cigarette smoke, or other environmental toxins.

2. What is the average life expectancy of a cat with lymphoma and how does this compare?

This can vary depending on the individual, but in my experience they usually do not survive past 6 months to 2 years after the diagnosis.

3. Is there anything I could have done to treat it holistically?

Yes, homeopathic remedies can be very useful for these cases. In my experience, it seems that if the owner went first to a holistic veterinarian for treatment, and only as a last resort using conventional medication, there would be more success stories! Rather than going to a conventional veterinarian first.

4. You wrote, "when I am ready for a new friend, what are the thoughts on vaccinations and prevention...

Adopting from a shelter, or sanctuary, NOT from a breeder, since there are TOO many homeless kittens out there, would be my first advice! And consider adopting TWO kittens.

Test for FeLV, FIV and FIP in a blood test. Test the stool for parasites.

NO vaccination until they are over 4 months of age, and then ONLY FVRCP (feline distemper). If there is any sign of illness, delay the vaccination until over one year of age.

Keep inside only.

No more vaccines for life.

Feed a canned and/or start introducing a RAW diet at 4 months of age. Check out Rad Cat, (www.radfood.com) Feed a combination of raw and canned together. NO DRY CAT FOOD. Once the permanent teeth have all come in, (this is at 6 months old) introduce tartar control treats a few pieces after each meal.

Lots of LOVE, hug them at least once a day. Lots of toys, catnip, scratching posts, and teach them to come when you call and to shake hands for a tartar control treat. Get them used to trimming their nails and combing them once a week.

NO clumping kitty litter. Use 'regular' non-clumping brands. Also, Swheat Scoop, Yesterday's News and World's Best Kitty Litter, are good brands and good for the environment.

Find a holistic veterinarian for medical care.