Cat Lungs Filled with Fluid

by Tara

I e-mailed before concerning my cat that is in her last stages of mammary cancer. Now the x-rays show it has gone into her chest and her lungs are filled with fluid.

I know it may be the end, but I just have to keep fighting and trying the best I can. The vet basically sent her home to die and said bring her in when you are ready to put her down.

My question is, if I had her lungs tapped how long does that last? My vet said that it would only last 24 hours. I spoke to a friend today that said her dog was aspirated once weekly. If that is the case, I would have it done.

Is there a natural way to aspirate the lungs? Is there an herb or anything that can naturally take the fluid out of her lungs?? I just can't believe that there isn't an herb that can do this.

I just feel so hopeless. She hasn't eaten in days. I gave her the mirtazapine appetite stimulant three cays ago and now that doesn't even work. I am giving her nutri-cal to somewhat supplement her calories, but now she fights and gets out of breath, so I feel guilty giving her that. Please help me.

Comments for Cat Lungs Filled with Fluid

My Online Vet Response For: Cat Lungs Filled with Fluid

July 11, 2014

Hi Tara,

I am so sorry to hear about these new developments in your kitty, with the spread of the mammary cancer to her lungs, causing the fluid buildup.

"if I had her lungs tapped how long does that last? My vet said that it would only last 24 hours. I spoke to a friend today that said her dog was aspirated once weekly."

Fluid accumulation in the lungs due to heart failure or congestive heart disease, can sometimes be managed with once a week or every 2 weeks draining. (especially, in dogs)

Cancer in the lungs, causing fluid buildup, is NOT easily managed, and the withdrawal of fluid can trigger the fluid to build up even faster. So, I agree with your veterinarian, that it will only provide relief for about 24 hours.

"Is there a natural way to aspirate the lungs? Is there an herb or anything that can naturally take the fluid out of her lungs??"

No, there is not a *natural* way to aspirate the lungs. To help 'medically' to remove the fluid, using either conventional drugs or herbs, requires functioning kidneys. And I think that your kitty actually has kidney failure.

" She hasn't eaten in days. I gave her the mirtazapine appetite stimulant three days ago and now that doesn't even work. I am giving her nutri-cal to somewhat supplement her calories, but now she fights and gets out of breath"

At this point, it may be hard to accept that her organs may be shutting down. With kidney failure, and now the lungs are compromised, this will cause more stress and pressure on her heart to pump blood to the rest of her organs.

"The vet basically sent her home to die and said bring her in when you are ready to put her down."

I am inclined to agree. Giving her oxygen will help a little, but from your description of her condition, I believe the end is near. It may be kinder to 'let her go' and choose euthanasia, rather than allow her to suffer, and basically 'drown' as the cancer cells replace lung tissue, and the fluids accumulate.

I do not know if a holistic veterinarian examining her in 'person', would have a different opinion.

Thank you

Thank you Dr. Tillman, I agree. I didn't want to put her down but I don't want to see her suffer either.

Thank you,
Tara

My Online Vet Response for: Cat Lungs Filled with Fluid

July 13, 2014

Hi Tara,
From everyone at Organic Pet Digest, I just want to send you my deepest sympathy at this difficult time.