Cat Has Cloudy Eye Near Tear Duct

by Chris K.
(Berkshire, England)

cat's eye

cat's eye

My cat seems to have a cloudy area in his right eye near the tear duct. Every now and then it weeps. Just wondering what it could be and how much to treat.

Comments for Cat Has Cloudy Eye Near Tear Duct

My Online Vet Response for: Cat Has Cloudy Eye Near Tear Duct

January 22, 2015

Hi Chris,
From the photo you sent of your cat, he is squinting and his third eyelid is raised. I am unable to see if there is any cloudiness on his cornea under the third eyelid.

This can be from conjunctivitis due to bacteria or virus infection, or a scratch on his cornea or a foreign body in his eye. If he is an outside cat, I would be more suspicious that he scratched his cornea. You should take him in for an exam to check under the third eyelid and stain the cornea to rule out a scratch on his cornea.

Either conventional or holistic veterinarian can treat this to make him more comfortable. But first he needs an exam to find out what is wrong.