Carley and Roxy's Favorite Dog Recipe

by Darryl
(Auburndale, FL)

Charley and Roxy are white labs that are very healthy. They each get two portions each day. I make large amounts and freeze in tupperware...

15 lbs. ground meat
20 medium squash
15 medium sweet potatoes
3 lbs. brown rice
bone meal as suggested
vitamin c as suggested
kelp for dogs as suggested
1/2 cup safflower oil

Bake meat until med. well
Boil rice as directed
Boil squash. Not too much to preserve nutrients.
Bake yams till tender.
Combine all ingredients in large bowl. We use the kitchen sink.
Divide into Tupperware and freeze. Keep one in the fridge.

Charley and Roxy are spoiled. We warm up their meals in the micro for 2 minutes.

Comments for Carley and Roxy's Favorite Dog Recipe

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

How much to Feed NEW

This recipe sounds good. I would love to know how much to feed.

How Many Servings?

I'm trying to compare the prices of various homemade dog food recipes, and it would help a lot to know how much food you end up with after mixing all these ingredients together! Can you tell me how many servings you get out of each batch? -Thanks!!

darryl's white labs
by: melinda

I have a lab too. how much would you feed them at one feeding?

Brown rice?
by: Cass

Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe! It sounds nutritious, but I've read a couple of articles that stated that white rice is a better option due to dogs' shorter digestive system. Brown rice takes longer to digest than white. And I, too, have seen a number of articles about studies being done that have proven that microwaves deplete nutrients. I only use mine for the timer and clock, these days :)

Thanks for recipe and comment
by: Rebecca

The recipe sounds pretty good though I would have to cut the squash or have very loose stool for any of my dogs. Comment is correct re: microwave. It kills nutrients. You are going to have a very limited amount of support in this world from helpful and intelligent people if you cannot take advice from people who may not have your literary skills. Better hope that if you ever need a paramedic they bring a resume.

Sounds good
by: CJ in AZ

This recipe sounds good. I have a small Shih Tzu so would have to reduce the amount of each ingredient. As far as Sher's comment...I personally would never take advise from someone who can't spell or use grammar correctly. Geez!

would have gave 5 stars ..BUT
by: sher

You was concerend about over cooking the squash due to loss of nutrients, however you say you warm the food in a mocrowave... VERY BAD, microwave cooking totally depletes nutrients from all food.... I stopped using our microwave when I read some articles from Dr. Oz, and Dr. Mercola, and reaidng studies that confirm microwave cooking destroys nutrients.

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Homemade Dog Food Recipes.