Canine Papilloma Virus

by Nancy

My 1.5 yr old Texas blue lacey has canine papilloma virus. Our young 2 yr old golden retriever neighbour dog does as well (inside of mouth for both). They play together all the time, and since both have it can they continue to play together.

Dr Pitcairns' book recommends some homeopathic and food supplements. Can you tell me what you recommend?

No treatment from our regular vet for either dog, as he said it would pass in a couple of months (I forgot to ask if they could continue to play together).

Thanks for any advice

Comments for Canine Papilloma Virus

My Online Vet Response for: Canine Papilloma Virus

Hi Nancy,
Yes, that is correct that the oral papilloma virus is usually transient, and as a dog's immune system matures, the warts will disappear. As Dr. Pitcairn states in his book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, the presence of warts indicates that the dog has a condition called, 'vaccinosis'.

And in some cases, it is directly related to the vaccinations that the dog has received. It may be best NOT to vaccinate your dog in the future, and obtain an exemption form from a holistic veterinarian.

"since both have it, can they continue to play together?"
Yes, they can continue to play together. It can be spread, but only to other 'susceptible' individuals.

For homeopathic treatment, it is best to address the underlying tendency for that individual. Therefore, even though your dog and your neighbor's dog both have Dog Warts oral papilloma dog warts, their homeopathic remedy may not be the same. It depends on their individual 'constitution'. This is what a holistic veterinarian will determine on examination.

So, if the warts do not disappear in the next 3-6 months, then seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be the best option.

In the meantime, making sure your dog develops a healthy immune system by feeding a nutritious diet, would be of utmost importance. NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options. And consider a raw diet for your dog.

And please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.