Canine Corneal Ulcer

by Beth

Runny right eye

Runny right eye

Runny right eye
Bad eye
Happy Dizel

On November 17 he presented with a squinting eye. Having never seen him like this before, I went right to the vet where they promptly did a stain and told me there was a small ulcer. At that time I received Atropine for pain, Tobramycin, and Ophthalm (serum derived from blood sample).

I used the Atropine sparingly as he is a sun worshipper and loves to be outside. Administered the other drops 3X day. It seemed to improve a bit, but then he’d present with a watering mess of an eye. No yellow discharge – all very watery.

After several more visits, the third vet read me the riot act that he wasn't in a cone(he doesn’t seem to mess with it too much, but I do notice him wanting to rub that side of his face on me). He was also the only vet who suggested his activity be somewhat restricted so as not to get his blood pressure up.

As of his last stain on the 15th, the report states there’s a 2mm ulcer on the ventral medial cornea. He still seems to be in some discomfort – I’m giving him occasional tramadol and considering another application of the atropine as we’re supposed to be having a few days of rain.

Is there something else I can do? My vet says the next step if he doesn't improve is an opthamologist – should I go sooner or later?
Perhaps I’m being impatient, but I’m very concerned it doesn’t seem to be improving. His pupil is a bit dilated still – last dose of the atropine was Saturday morning.

Dizel is an active 5 yr old pit mix (50% pit, 25% vischla, 25% bulldog mix).

Comments for Canine Corneal Ulcer

My Online Vet Response for: Canine Corneal Ulcer

December 22, 2014

Hi Beth,
Corneal ulcers usually heal in less than two weeks. Since it has been over one month since Dizel has had this ulcer, you may need to seek the help of a veterinary ophthalmologist. In the meantime, I have had some good success using the homeopathic remedy Silicea, to treat these stubborn ulcers.

Use homeopathic Silicea 6C or 30C, one pellet by mouth 1-2 times daily for 5 days. It is ok to dissolve one pellet into 2 oz of Spring water in a glass dropper bottle. Give Dizel 1/2 dropperful **by mouth** TWO times daily. 'Succuss' or shake the bottle 20 times by hitting it against the palm of your hand.

There may be some other factors causing Dizel to have poor healing abilities. Poor immune system, too much dry food, or 'vaccinosis' (the effects of too many vaccines affecting the immune system.) To locate a holistic veterinarian, click on the link below.

In the meantime, try the Silicea 6C, or 30C, and post an update in 3-4 days.