Calfornia Natural Lamb and Brown Rice Dog Food Problems

by Elizabeth
(Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA)

For years I have been feeding my dogs California Natural

Lamb and Brown Rice dog food, in both the canned and low-fat dry forms. My dogs have always done very well on this diet, and I have never had any problems until recently.

I have recently begun finding disgusting pieces of foreign animal parts in the canned food. I wrote to the company and their response was for me to send a sample to their lab. I feel this is not responsive, since I stated that I was concerned that they were now including non-nutritive by-products as a cost-saving measure, and they did not deny this, or say they
would look into it, or anything else that would make me believe they are concerned or that is was accidental.

I will change brands right away but don't know what company I can trust, since California Natural continues to advertise no by-products, yet is suddenly including them (I have found up to 3 pieces of foreign animal tissue in 1 can of food). I also think it is important that pet owners who use this brand be made aware of the problem so that they can decide if they want to continue with their products.

At the very least, this is false advertising; at its worst, it is reckless and unethical cost-cutting without regard for the health of the pets that consume their foods. The breach of trust also is a major problem, as is the dilemma of discerning which brands are still trustworthy.

If anyone else has fed their dog California Natural, please share your experiences by clicking the "click here to add your own comments" link below.

Comments for Calfornia Natural Lamb and Brown Rice Dog Food Problems

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

I have just started feeding my two cocker spaniels this dog food and they are having very loose stools. One, to the point, couldn't make it outdoors in time.

Response to Trust Issue
by: Zsofi's Mom

I have a 11 month old Wire-Haired Vizsla. Being this is my first dog as an adult, nutrition is my key concern. I spent may hours of research to conclude, if I would not eat it, then I would not feed it to my precious Zsofi. I finally decided on The Honest Kitchen. It is a small California based company with limited recipe's. They use all natural, human grade food fruit, veggies and proteins.(ie the parts of the chicken, beef etc that you and I would eat- not rotten, spoiled parts) In addition, it is processed in a human grade manufacturing plant which IS regulated by the FDA. The food is a dehydrated raw diet. It is considered "Raw" only because it is dehydrated at a very low temp slowly to ensure the purest quality of the ingredients. It looks like oatmeal and you rehydrate it with water to feed. It is great because you have the added benefit of knowing you will keep your pup well hydrated. Check it out Best of Luck

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Share Your Stories, Experiences and Pictures.