Calcium Supplementation for Raw Dog Food Diet

by Kimberly
(Chapel Hill, NC)

I am feeding my 8 week old lab puppy a homemade {cooked} diet from Dr. Pitcairn's book. While I realize that it is important to supplement with calcium with the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio (as in bone meal) for a {raw} diet, I would like to know if it is nutritionally balanced to supplement with powdered eggshell and no phosphorus.

Is phosphorus necessary, and if so, what would I use? I would like to avoid bone meal, if at all possible, because of the concerns about lead contamination.

Thank you for your help.

Comments for Calcium Supplementation for Raw Dog Food Diet

My Online Vet Response for: Calcium Supplementation for Raw Dog Food Diet

Hi Kimberly,

Since meat contains phosphorus naturally, a diet that is NOT supplemented with calcium will be TOO high in Phosphorus. The proper ratio of Calcium to Phosphorus is 2:1. (Calcium 2 to Phosphorus 1)

Feeding a raw diet, where the meat is fed with the bone will usually solve the problem of having the proper ratio of calcium to phosphorus. Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats has recipes for young growing dogs that are excellent.

It depends on the breed of puppy, how much they will gnaw on the bone, or if they do not eat the bone, where you may have difficulties.

Following Dr. Pitcairn's suggestions, will ensure your puppy has a balanced HEALTHY diet!

- 10 Best Dog Food Options
- Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- Dog Dietary Supplements
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Food Diet - Dog Food, Dog Treats & Homemade Dog Food Recipes Section