Bumps or Warts Near Dog's Genitals

These wart-looking bumps (see photo) were found near my dog's genitals. Over the last few weeks we have noticed a few more of them. They are only on the inside of his leg and near his genitals.

What are they and does he need medical care?
They look like warts to me but don't know where/how he got them. It isn't bothering him or itching him. There is one cluster as shown in the pic by his genitals and another small cluster of 2 or 3 on the inside of his left thigh area.

Hi is a 14 Month old French bulldog, was neutered at six months and is healthy overall.

He is a inside dog and is always walked with a person, never roams free in the yard to get into something. We live in cold climate so we haven't even really gotten warm weather for ticks, fleas etc. Thanks

Comments for Bumps or Warts Near Dog's Genitals

My Online Vet Response for: Bumps or Warts Near Dog's Genitals

April 25, 2013

Hello,

From the photo you sent, it appears that your 14 month old French Bulldog has a superficial pyoderma. The bumps or warts you are concerned about are scabs. They usually occur in this area where there is less hair, similar to a 'diaper rash' in a human baby.

I suggest good hygiene, bathe the area with baby shampoo, (yes, like Johnson and Johnson for 'human' babies), rinse and dry well. One time daily for the next 3 days, then two times per week for 3 weeks and it should clear up completely.

Also, you should make sure he is on a healthy diet, to support a strong immune system. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a Raw diet for him.

Also, it is not unusual for problems to appear soon after a vaccination. If that is when you noticed these 'eruptions' occurring, you should see a holistic veterinarian for ongoing treatment for 'vaccinosis'.