Bumps on Stomach of My Dog

by Angie R.
(Perry Hall, Maryland)

My dog's stomach bumps

My dog's stomach bumps

My dog over the past few days has had these bumps show up on his stomach (see photo). We have tried to give him allergy medicine but it has not helped. We are trying to get a vet appointment but hope you might be able to help in the meantime.

Comments for Bumps on Stomach of My Dog

My Online Vet Response for: Bumps on Stomach of My Dog

December 28, 2013

Hi Angie,

From the photo you sent of your male dog's abdomen, the bumps appear to be superficial pyoderma. Which is similar to 'diaper rash' in a human baby. This is a problem more often seen in younger dogs, 6 months to 2 years of age. (But I do not know your dog's age.)

If this is the problem, then bathing him with a baby shampoo, rinse and dry well every 3-4 days. Since winter in Maryland can be very cold, make sure you do this indoors if possible and he is thoroughly dry before allowing him to go outside. Dirt and poor hygiene is what causes this problem to occur. So, the cleaner he is, the quicker he will heal.

I do not feel this is an allergy. If he had an allergic reaction he would be itching and scratching, and the area would be more inflamed and red.

It would also be helpful if his diet contained more moisture. NO dry dog food. Add in some raw or lightly cooked meat, (NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH) Cooked or steamed vegetables such as green beans and carrots would be healthy too.

Finding a holistic veterinarian, would also be beneficial for his overall health!

Bumps on stomach

Thank you I will try to do what you suggested. My dog is 5 years old not a puppy anymore so I don't know if that matters and he had fleas a couple months ago that he was allergic to, but hasn't had any since then.

January 1, 2014

Hi Angie,
Sounds like a plan.