Bump/Lump On Dog's Ear

by Jenny

My Great Dane has natural ears, and they do get infected here and there. A week or so ago, they go pretty bad, so I started our cleaning routine and noticed that there was a bump inside his ear.

I was looking him over last night and the bump is larger, also seems black on the top and there was some blood oozing out of it.

It does not seem to really bother him. I don't notice him scratching it and he isn't shaking his head like he does when they are infected.

Maybe it's nothing, I sure hope it's not anything serious.

He is two years old and extremely sensitive with nearly everything. I have him on a raw diet, and the only treats he gets, I make.

Comments for Bump/Lump On Dog's Ear

My Online Vet Response for: Bump/Lump on Dog's Ear

Hi Jenny,
Although the photos are a bit out of focus, I am suspicious that the 'bump/lump' on your dog's ear may be an infected tick bite. I do not know if your dog is in an area where ticks are prevalent or not. Or, possibly this could be a bite wound from playing or wrestling with another dog?

I do not think it is really serious, but since I just cannot tell from the photos exactly what it might be, I suggest that you take him in to a holistic veterinarian for an exam. In the meantime, clean it with hydrogen peroxide, two times daily. Do not get any into his ear canal, since he is prone to ear infections, it is best to keep the ear canal DRY.

You can apply Calendula ointment to the area, after cleaning, this is a homeopathic remedy to help wounds heal quickly.

You might also consider giving him the homeopathic remedy Silicea 6C or 12C, one pellet by mouth every 8 hours for 3-5 days. Silicea is a good remedy for infected wounds/abscesses. And may be a good remedy to prevent future ear infections. (Although, he may need a higher potency.)