Bump, Then Flat Crusty Oval on Dog's Neck

by Alex

left side of neck

left side of neck

left side of neck
right side of neck

On Friday of last week my friend noticed a bump on the left side of my dog Lilly's neck. She doesn't like you to touch it. The bump disappeared and now there's a flat 1x1 inch oval with crust. She's itching and scratching it a bit more than normal.

Today, I also noticed a smaller area on the right side of her neck, looking very similar.

Also, maybe unrelated, she hasn't peed since I picked her up almost 24 hours ago.
What should I do?

Lilly is a female American Cocker Spaniel, almost 2 years old. Pretty healthy, around 18 pounds.

She is usually kept inside mostly in my ground floor apartment in downtown San Diego. While I was out of town, she and her brother (almost 9 year old male English Cocker Spaniel) stayed with a friend who has a house and yard (when the problem was found). She has no dogs herself.

Comments for Bump, Then Flat Crusty Oval on Dog's Neck

My Online Vet Response for: Bump, Then Flat Crusty Oval on Dog's Neck

September 22, 2014

Hi Alex,
From the photos of Lily, it is a little difficult to tell exactly what is going on with these crusty lesions on both sides of her neck.

I am a bit concerned they may be:

1.Wounds-- from being outside in your friend's yard, and are now infected
2."Hot spots"-- self inflicted from her chronic scratching
3. Poison ivy or poison oak

I advise that you take her to either a holistic or conventional veterinarian to have an exam.

Hopefully, they are not as serious as I described. In the meantime, you will need to wash the area one to two times daily with cool water and baby shampoo. Rinse and dry well. Use Rescue Remedy, diluted 20 drops to 2oz Spring Water to apply to the area as often as needed 6-8 times daily. You may need to put a 'soft' E-Collar around her neck to prevent her from continuing to scratch/itch the area.