Bump on Side of Dog's Eye

by Karen
(La Crescent, MN)

My Rottie Coda

My Rottie Coda

Coda has a bump on just a little to the left of his left eye. It doesn't seem to bother him but we're not sure if it needs to be checked or not.

We were gone for a few days and our granddaughter was home/pet sitting for us. She said she thinks the door may have banged Coda when he and our other dog went outside because they both were trying to run out at the same time.

Our granddaughter has been living with us for 4 years and has been a very responsible person.

Comments for Bump on Side of Dog's Eye

My Online Vet Response For: Bump on Side of Dog's Eye

February 20, 2015

Hi Karen,
It is difficult to make out the 'bump' on the side of Coda's right eye, from the photo. In large breed dogs, if Coda is over 6-8 years of age, I would be very concerned about osteosarcoma, especially if this bump is hard like bone.

If the bump is soft and seems fluid filled, it may be an abscess (filled with pus) or a seroma (filled with serum).

I suggest you take Coda to a veterinarian for an exam and diagnosis and we can proceed from that point on what treatment might be best. Whether holistic or conventional.