Bump on My Dog's Lip

by Kim
(Newport, RI)

Our 16 month old german shepherd has a bump, growth or wart on her lip. We noticed it on Friday. It seems to have come overnight. She seems to be eating normally. She does drool a lot, not sure if that could be related.

She does go to a doggie day care a few days a week, her activity is normal and she still has a lot of energy. It does not appear to bother her.

I did read online that it could be an immune problem. She had a serious UTI when she was a few months old, it took several anitbotic treaments until it was finally gone. I am not sure that is worth mentioning but it could be immune issues with that as well.

I am sending the best picture I can get, she is not coperating with that at all. It is a small black raised bump off her lip.

Comments for Bump on My Dog's Lip

My Online Vet Response for: Bump on My Dog's Lip

August 26, 2014

Hi Kim,
Although the photo is slightly out of focus, I suspect this is a benign wart. Growths, warts, tumors are usually due to an individual's adverse response to vaccinations.

In holistic medicine, vaccines can create a condition in susceptible individuals called 'vaccinosis. The frequent bladder infections that she had can also be attributed to 'vaccinosis'. I would seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to exempt her from more vaccines.

Most kennels/day cares will accept a letter from a veterinarian to 'excuse' her from any other vaccinations.

Improve her diet by the addition of some RAW meat to her diet. Raw meat contains vitamin C, which is not added to dog food, (since dogs make their own vitamin C, pet food companies do not feel the need to supplement their food with it.) Many raw brands are commercially available, Primal, BRAVO!, Nature's Variety, Instinct, Aunt Jeni's, etc. That you can add to her diet. Since she is such a large dog, it may be very expensive to put her on a completely raw diet!

Also, try giving her the homeopathic remedy Thuya (Thuja occidentalis), 6C or 12C. Dissolve one pellet in a 2 oz dropper bottle filled with Spring Water. Give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks for helping her counteract the effects of vaccinosis, make the wart go away, and improving her Vital Force.