Bump On Dog's Skin Next to Food Pad

by Sonia
(Chicago, IL USA)

It is snowing here in Chicago where we live and I usually put on rubber booties to protect her paws from the ice and salt. Last night I didn't put on the booties and when we came back, I noticed she was limping and didn't want to put her paw down. Then I looked and was shocked by my finding.

The bump is very big, almost as long as a toe nail, sticking straight down from the paw skin in between the toe pads. It looks like it has been growing for a while, I don't know how I missed it!! She never showed any symptoms of discomfort or limped. The begginning part of the bump looks like regular skin and turns out into a hard grey, dry tip, almost like a cone. It feels hard to the touch, almos like cartilage. She doesn't like it when I touch it , but doesn't complain if I touch it or squeeze it. It seems like it might be uncomfortable but not painful.

I am concerned about this, not sure what to do..... Thank you so much for the information you can provide.

Some background: My dog is 2.5 years old pug mix, she was adopted from a shelter about 1.5 year ago. She was small, didn't have a lot of hair and had the kennel cough. She was vaccinated around that time as well.

We have taken good care of her, she takes walks and goes to the doggie day care twice a week. She has grown a size and put on about 5 lbs since we got her. She is a happy and healthy dog.

She got the usual yearly vaccinations last October, a year since the last round when we got her. She got the mixed kind from what I remember.

Comments for Bump On Dog's Skin Next to Food Pad

My Online Vet Response for: Bump on Dog's Skin Next to Foot Pad

January 15, 2015

Hi Sonia,
From the photo of your pug's foot, in the webbing between her toes, and your description,

"as long as a toe nail, sticking straight down from the paw skin in between the toe pads. It looks like it has been growing for a while... The beginning part of the bump looks like regular skin and turns out into a hard grey, dry tip, almost like a cone....feels hard to the touch... She doesn't like it when I touch it , but doesn't complain if I touch it or squeeze it"

I suspect this is a 'corn'. You can remove it yourself, by softening the base of it with mineral oil or olive oil. Then hold the tip, and gently twist or wiggle it as if you were taking out a little baby tooth. In some cases, the base may be too adherent to the skin, and she will object. And, if it does adhere a little, then a quick 'yank' is needed to pull it out completely. You WILL need someone to hold her head, while you are doing this.

You may feel more comfortable taking her to a veterinarian to do the 'removal'.

Corns are just a benign collection of dead keratin tissue that has built up over time. They are found near the pads in both dogs and cats. I have not found a predisposing factor that causes corns. They can become uncomfortable if they grow to a large size, and become irritated, infected or even bleed as the dog walks. It is best to have them removed.