Bump on Dog's Ankle and Lame Leg

by Lisa Flannery
(Fort Myers )

Bailey was fine during the day, but when my mom came downstairs a few hours later he was limping/lame in his back left leg. We inspected the leg and found a small bump on his left ankle.

The doctor gave him a cystophy. He was to schedule this for surgery to remove it and there was also a discussion of hip dysplasia. We are currently giving him a prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medication and he seems better.

Baily is a just-turned-6-years-old golden retriever we imported from Europe. His parents have excellent hips and are famous breeding dogs. There is no history of hip or elbow issues.

What alternatives should we consider and what questions should I ask the veterinarian?

Comments for Bump on Dog's Ankle and Lame Leg

My Online Vet Response for Bump on Dog's Ankle and Lame Leg

Hi Lisa,
Since you did not send a photo of the 'bump' on Bailey's leg/ankle area, I can only guess at what it might be and give you possible suggestions based on that.

It sounds like it happened acutely, so an injury to that part of the leg could result in edema, seroma or hematoma. These would all cause a bump on the leg/ankle and cause him to limp.

Pain medication would help the limping, but making Bailey rest and applying warm compresses to the ankle would reduce the swelling. No surgery would be required.

Unless the doctor took x-rays, I am not sure how hip dysplasia could have been diagnosed. Also, if Bailey comes from good breeding stock, the likelihood of him having hip dysplasia would be low.

You said the doctor gave him a "cystophy"? And now is going to schedule surgery. Is the bump a cyst?? Did the doctor tap the bump and withdraw fluid, and from the analysis on the fluid determined that it was a cyst?? There may be other problems going on here, since a cyst would not have appeared suddenly and would not cause him to limp.

Perhaps seeking out the help of a holistic veterinarian that can examine Bailey and give you some alternatives to surgery would be best!

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below: