Bump on back of dog's ear

by Darlene Boyle
(Los Angeles, CA)

We recently noticed a red bump on the outside back of our dog's ear. I looked a bit on the internet and it appears it may be a mast cell tumor? If so, what is the treatment plan?

He is an 8 year old pure bred Labrador Retriever in good health.

I assume we need to remove it via surgery. What are the odds that it is cancerous based on his age, and are these common in dogs?

Thank you,

Darlene B.

Comments for Bump on back of dog's ear

My Online Vet Response for: Bump on back of dog's ear

Hi Darlene,
Regarding the bump you recently noticed on the back of your 8 year old Lab's ear, I have to disagree with you. It looks more like a benign wart to me than a mast cell tumor.

Has he been itching or scratching at it? Did it grow rapidly to reach this size over the past 3-6 weeks?

If you first noticed it at this size (and he is not scratching at it, nor is it bothering him), then I feel that you should try a more holistic approach first BEFORE surgery. See our page on dog warts. Use Thuya ointment applied to the wart 1-2 times daily for 3-6 weeks.

In the meantime, I would NOT give him any more vaccinations, as vaccines seem to weaken the immune system making him more susceptible to what is called 'vaccinosis'. Vaccinosis (more specifically Sycosis as it is termed in Homeopathy), is a miasm which can lead to the development of tumors, warts and cancers. Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian would be best to treat him with either oral Thuya or a more constitutional remedy to remove the effects of vaccinosis.

Also, making sure that his diet is the healthiest possible would be best for him to 'fight' vaccinosis. NO DRY DOG food. Try a more natural canned and/or RAW diet.

And he may need some immune system supplements, if the above is not helping.