Bulging white of the eye in my dog

by Mary Anne
(Southampton, NY)

My 10 year old beagle has suddenly developed a bulging white in the right eye, inside corner. She does not appear to be uncomfortable. She is in good health otherwise.

Comments for Bulging white of the eye in my dog

My Online Vet Response for Bulging white of the eye in my dog

Hi Mary Anne,
Without a photo, I am unable to accurately answer your question. There is a membrane in the inner corner of a dog's eye, called the 'third' eyelid. In certain situations it will raise up, and that may be what you are referring to, as the 'bulging white of the eye'. And there are certain diseases that will cause it to raise up. Otherwise, it might be a tumor in the sclera, which is the white part of the eye.

In any case, it would be best to have your dog examined by a veterinarian for a diagnosis and treatment, if needed. Preferably a holistic veterinarian, for a more 'natural' treatment plan. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: