Brown Spot on Dog's Sclera (Eye)

by Bill
(Boston, MA)

Our dog's had a brown spot where the iris meets the sclera for as long as we can remember. We took some photos a few months ago to monitor its size and shape and recently noticed it had gotten lighter in color but had slightly increased in size.

There's also another small spot on the opposite side of her eye that we just noticed. It may have always been there, we're not sure.

It doesn't seem inflamed and it has never seemed to bother her. Her other eye is perfectly white.

Molly is a beagle/English bulldog Molly is 2.5 years old. She's been very healthy and has only had minor allergies that didn't require any ongoing treatment. She's also a very active dog and likes to play rough with other dogs however we've never noticed any eye trauma as a result of the rough housing.

We live in Boston and have an animal ophthalmologist nearby but can't get an appointment for a little while.

Comments for Brown Spot on Dog's Sclera (Eye)

My Online Vet Response for: Brown Spot on Dog's Sclera (Eye)

June 10, 2013

Hi Bill,

Molly is a great looking dog. Beagle mixed with a bulldog is a sturdy breed. Her coloring is almost a 'tri' color, with the brown and white on her body, and black around her eyes.

It is this 'multi' color combination that will contribute to the pigment you see on her sclera. The junction between the clear cornea and the white sclera is called the limbus and is a circular line that separates them.

This area can develop melanoma, (black pigmented tumors), but I would expect to see it grow and spread over a few months' time. You mentioned that the spots you see have been present since you adopted her, and have not changed much at all, and she is only 2 1/2 years old. I contribute this to her normal coloring. As you notice, the leading edge of her third eyelid is pigmented a black color. In some dogs only one eye has a dark color.

It would be a good idea to have an ophthalmologist give her an exam. As the photos are difficult to clearly discern between the eye, and the glare from the light. Not an 'emergency', just for a routine check.

Same brown spot! NEW
by: Joan Joe

I recently noticed similar brown spot on one of my dog's eyes. My dog is a 4 year old poodle. We don't live near any expert vets, so I really don't know what to do. If you have found out what caused the brown spot please let me know.

I am very worried, my dog means a lot to me. Please reply. Thank you.

joanjoe73@gmail.com

My Online Vet Response for:Brown Spot on Dog's Sclera (Eye) NEW

July 15,2015

Dear Joan Joe,

At this time, I am no longer answering questions online. It would be best to take your dog to a veterinarian or, better yet, find a local holistic veterinarian to help.

Take care