Brown & Red Patches Under Dog's Legs & On Belly with Crusty Skin Patches On Rib Cage

by Ava
(Topanga, CA)

Belly

Belly

Belly
Belly
Under arm
Chest

About a week and a half ago I noticed brown patches under my dog's front legs. A few days later I noticed brown and red patches on his belly, which he is licking regularly. As I examined further I saw some slightly crusty patches forming on his rib cage area, and all of the above had become worse.

I just adopted George, a yellow lab/golden retriever (I think) mix a month and a half ago.

I am feeding him a "raw" diet - a combination of Stella & Chewy's, Grandma Lucy's and Natures Variety. Just for kicks, I stuck to one of those foods for three days and it did not help slow the progress. It has now spread to his left knee area.

Keep in mind he was having the food for nearly a month before I noticed anything, so actually I doubt it's the food... but I thought I would mention it.

He has been with the sitter a bit over the holidays and she takes him on walks in the Canyon with the other 4 dogs she regularly sits for.

On his adoption intake form (dated 11/10/12) they noted a finding of ticks and abdominal clematitis? They were supposed to send him home with a prescription of Cephalexin 500mg Prescribed on 11/10 but forgot. They finally called to tell me that while I was away on Thanksgiving, so he was without it for about a week.

Upon my return, I picked up the prescription, but my sitter mentioned that was a strong antibiotic and there seemed to be nothing wrong with him, so I decided to wait to give it to him because I don't like to give them unless absolutely necessary. I would be willing to give it to him now if needs be, but would follow with a strong acidophilus after the course is done, upon your concurrence.

He is happy and energetic and exhibits no signs of illness. He only licks that area quite often.

The blood work upon adoption (dated 11/18/12) was good, with slightly elevated ALK. PHOSPHATASE and CK and slightly low TCO2. The adoption vet said this is normal for dogs under the stress of the abandonment/adoption process.

I have green tea bags, a pet friendly homeopathic healing cream, many many homeopathic remedies from Boiron, and some Asea water which is a salt water solution for advancing health.

Thank you for your help.

Comments for Brown & Red Patches Under Dog's Legs & On Belly with Crusty Skin Patches On Rib Cage

Point of Clarity
by: Ava

I re-read the Adoption vet's diagnosis and it actualy says "abdominal dermatitis" not clematitis as I had originally posted...

My Online Vet Response for: Brown & Red Patches Under Dog's Legs & On Belly with Crusty Skin Patches On Rib Cage

Hi Ava,
From the photos of George that you submitted, it appears that there are a few areas of superficial dermatitis, but the majority of the lesions look more like bruising called 'petechiation' and 'ecchymoses'. These types of bruises can be caused from tick bites, auto-immune disease such a pemphigus foliaceous or adverse reactions to vaccinations. Giving an antibiotic will only delay the more specific diagnosis and treatment that he needs.

Since you have already started him on a good diet, and you seem to be working hard to improve his health, I suggest seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to examine George 'in person'. Holistic treatment involves an exam of the entire dog, not just the skin. As he is active and energetic, he probably has a strong vital force, and homeopathic remedies would work well.

You should also consider boosting his immune system with some of these supplements:

For the Immuplex, open and add one capsule in food two times daily.

thank you
by: Ava

Thank You Dr. Tillman. I'll let you know what the vet says!

update
by: Jenny

Hi Dr. Tillman,
Went to Dr, Palmquist, an extraordinary holistic vet here in LA. George had a stafff infection, and is a very allergic dog. So, Dr. P put him on strong anti-biotics, homeopathics and nutraceuticals as well as a ZD diet, for the time being.

The staff has cleared, he is looking healthier and healthier and although he is still on the ZD (much to my dismay) we are muscle testing him every few weeks, and he is getting closer and closer to being able to take a limited ingredient raw food diet.

My Online Vet Response for: Brown & Red Patches Under Dog's Legs & on Belly with Crusty Skin Patches on Rib Cage

Hi Ava, (and Jenny),
Thank you for sending us the update on George. I am glad to hear that he is on the road to recovery now.

Dr. Palmquist is a well know holistic veterinarian. I am glad that George is in good hands!

Just FYI, it is spelled 'Staph', not Staff. Just an abbreviation for the bacteria called, Staphylococcus. A common skin contaminant.

Please continue to keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.