Border Collie with Red Spots on Belly

by Joy
(California)

My 8 year old Red Merle Border Collie has recently developed several red patches or spots on her abdomen. They have been there for two weeks but I have never seen them on her before. She has not lost any fur, there does not seem to be any itching. I have not seen her licking or grooming this area at all.

I am including two pictures, the spots are red, and there is a scab in the center. They fade and then come back but have not become any worse within the two weeks I have noticed them.

At first I thought it was a reaction to a new dog treat she had been eating but after eliminating this from her diet she still had the spots. She has been eating the same kibble and has not come into contact with any chemicals or other irritants to my knowledge. She is exclusively indoors.

Thank you!

Comments for Border Collie with Red Spots on Belly

My Online Vet Response for: Border Collie with Red Spots on Belly

January 20, 2015

Hi Joy,

From the photos of your female Border Collie, she has superficial skin fold dermatitis around her vulvar folds.

If she is slightly overweight, or has any urine adhering to her hair in that area, the urine will collect in the skin folds and cause an irritation. This can appear as the red spots you have noticed.

It may be that she has been on a dry food diet too long, causing a deficiency in her immune system, or too many vaccinations over her lifetime, also causing a stress on her immune system, or some other problems have triggered this to appear over the past 2 weeks.

Plan:
1. After each urination you will need to use hydrogen peroxide, (an antiseptic), or witch hazel, (an astringent) to clean the folds in that area to remove the urine.

2. Once or twice a week, bathe this area with baby shampoo, rinse and dry well. (she does NOT need an entire bath) This may take 6 weeks to clear up.

3. If she is overweight start her on a weight loss diet.

4. DO NOT feed only dry dog food. She will NOT lose weight that way, and her skin needs moisture from food! See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html, and consider feeding her a RAW diet, or at least a combination of canned and raw.

5. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for an exemption form from vaccinations.

In 6 weeks, if no improvement, or worse, she may need some immune supplements and homeopathic remedies to help her heal.