Bloodshot dog eye with small ulcer

by Stacey
(Gilbert, AZ, USA)

Tonight when I came home I picked my dog up and said, "he looks like he has been at the bar till 2 am!" His left eye was all bloodshot and there appears to be a small ulcer growing. There is no drainage or odor and no bleeding, and he does not seem to be bothered by it at all.

He is not squatting or closing his eye at all. Other than hating for us to hold him down for his photo for this submission, he doesn't appear to act like it's there.

I wonder if he was rough housing with the other dog and got scratched somehow? I also did some reading because my biggest fear was he had herpes (I once had a cat who had herpes in his eye), but it appears that canine herpes is reproductive.

Here's some background information:

We think Crawl the Warrior King is just under one year old. He was found by a friend at work who then gave him to us.

He spends the majority of his time outside with the other 2 pugs we have. He is very active and loves to run and jump. In fact, he jumps very high. His breed is unknown... my guess would be beagle/Chihuahua? He has been neutered, and he eats Dry Baneful with Weight Control with the other dogs.

He is very territorial, especially with the food. He is "king" of the back yard. He's still chewing on things, a habit I hope he outgrows...ok that was the basics...

Is this eye problem something that will go away or needs eye drops? I hope this is enough information to go off of..thanks for your time.

Comments for Bloodshot dog eye with small ulcer

My Online Vet Response for Bloodshot dog eye with small ulcer

Hi Stacey,
Unfortunately, the photo you took of Crawl is too small for me to make a diagnosis. From what I can see, he either has a prolapse of the third eyelid, (which is not an emergency), severe chemosis of the conjunctiva, (which is a fairly urgent situation), a foreign body in his eye, an infection, or an ulcer, (a scratch on the cornea). In some cases a wound to the eye can be a contributing factor for chemosis, which is edema of the conjunctiva.

In any case, he should be taken to a veterinarian first thing in the morning. You may be able to soothe the eye, by dripping some saline into his eye. But he may be too stressed for you to come near him. A veterinarian will use drops that can numb the eye, (a topical anesthestic), so that the eye can be examined for a wound or foreign body.

If you wish to seek the help of a vet,
click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area.

Also, there are healthier foods than Beneful available. Check our page under the 10 Best Dog Food Options.

And for Behavior Problems, Dr. Ian Dunbar, has an excellent site, especially for dominant behavior that leads to conflicts.