Blister-like growth on dog's front pawpad

by Anjali Walker
(London, UK)

Scrappy Paw growth

Scrappy Paw growth

Scrappy Paw growth

My 10 year old Collie cross mongrel is a very fit and healthy dog but has been licking his front left paw a lot. He is as wriggly as an eel, so impossible to get a really good close-up look at the problem.

However, I managed to get a look when he was sleeping (paws in the air!), and managed to get a photo using zoom lens. It looks like a really nasty 'blister' or growth.

Online investigations suggest it might be one of those papillon warts, but thought it worth a closer check. He does not appear to be in pain, walking and running about as usual, and I have managed to dry his paws as normal after walking in the snow - but he still won't let me look at it!

I am keen to avoid very expensive vet bill as last time he cut his paw, the vet eventually had to put him under general anesthetic just to clean it and bandage it because he went mad! He's lovely dog otherwise by the way....

I hope the photos help to identify what it is, and any tips will be gratefully received.

Comments for Blister-like growth on dog's front pawpad

My Online Vet Response for: Blister-like growth on dog's front pawpad

Hi Anjali,
Regarding 'Scrappy', your 10 year old Collie mix male, the blister or growth DOES appear to look like a wart or some other benign lesion. I suspect that even though you just noticed it, that it has been there for a few months or so, slowly growing. It has now grown to a size that it is so large that it is becoming abraded on the ground when he walks, which causes it to be irritated, so he licks it.

If Scrappy were more 'cooperative' and would allow you to measure it at this time, you could monitor if it was increasing in size over the next 3-6 weeks, staying the same size or shrinking. A rapidly growing mass would be more suspicious than a slower growing one.

The papilloma warts that you are referring to, are more common in young dogs. Scrappy is 10 years old, growths such as warts, tumors, and cancers are more common in older dogs, and seem to be worse in dogs that are over vaccinated. In England, I am not sure how often you have him vaccinated, but with the appearance of this growth, I would advise having an exemption signed by a veterinarian, to NOT vaccinate him anymore.

Considering Scrappy's abject fear of having his feet touched, I would suggest that you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian. This way you can use homeopathic remedies, which are given orally.

Thuya occidentalis is a very common remedy useful for warts, especially in cases of over vaccination. If would be difficult for me to prescribe online without seeing him. A holistic veterinarian would take his history, personality and diet, and other habits and preferences into account. See our page on Veterinary Homeopathy for more information.

I would also advise feeding him a feeding him a raw dog food diet-to provide him with the healthiest nutrition. NO DRY DOG FOOD.

Scrappy 'growth' advice excellent
by: Anjali

Thank you so much for your detailed advice. I am an experienced dog owner (Scrappy is my 5th rescue dog over the past 25 years, my 6th is another bonkers Collie!), so I tend not to panic.

You have reassured me that my instincts were right, i.e. to monitor it rather than imagine the worst. He is happy and healthy with no signs of distress or changes in his appetite, activity levels or personality.

He has not been over-vaccinated as I stopped his vaccinations over 5 years ago - my dogs in Australia were never vaccinated and were as healthy as anything, so am not really sure about this obsession with vaccinating our perfectly healthy adult dogs every year of their lives - think, do we vaccinate our children or ourselves for the rest of our lives?!

I have 'brought up' 6 rudely healthy dogs for 25 years with only 1 dying unexpectedly of a tumour, otherwise we are talking old age.... Once again thank you for your advice. Excellent site!

Hi Anjali,

You are very welcome. Keep us posted on Scrappy's wart-like growth, and how he is doing.

Scrappy's growth gone!
by: Anjali

I can't believe it, the growth is completely gone! I have been faithfully giving Scrappy Do the homeopathic medicine that I picked up over the counter at Holland & Barratt for £6, twice a day.

As per usual, pesky mutt wouldn't let me near his paw for days, but early this morning he was lolling on my bed with paws in the air, and I very casually stroked his paw, then gently 'held' it. After walkies, I pretended to dry off his paws, and this time I got a good look. There is nothing there, not a trace or a hint of the growth, and I am sooooooo happy!

Walked past vets earlier and was sorely tempted to go in just to tell them that your online vet's excellent advice just saved me a tonne of money.... Once again, thank you so much.

Hi Anjali,
Thank you for the update! That is wonderful news that the 'blister'/ wart(?)/growth(?) has disappeared. You did make sure that you were looking at the correct foot?

As to the dose, I am curious what potency of Thuya occidentalis that you were using. You mentioned that you gave it two times per day. For how long?

If that is the chronic or constitutional remedy for Scrappy Do, he may benefit from an even higher potency to work 'deeper' on the mental/emotional level to help him. Since it certainly seems to have helped on the superficial level, on his skin!

Scrappy's growth gone - correct paw!
by: Anjali

Thank you for your advice. Yes, it was definitely the correct paw that I checked, and there is no visible sign of it now.

The lady at Holland & Barratt suggested for his weight (21 kilos) 2 of the homeopathic Thuya twice a day (she appears to be very knowledgeable about her products, which is rare in itself - she has helped me with other 'human' queries before!).

Scrappy seems extremely well and is usual combination of lazy mutt and saying hello rather exuberantly to the whole world when the fancy takes him. (He has a huge fan club, both human and canine, locally with total strangers who know him by name and I don't know how!).

Am interested in your suggestion of increasing dose to deal with his 'emotionals'? He is a very secure and loving rescue dog (actually sleeps on his back, with no insecurities, unlike my Collie, who is more highly strung and protective of herself). His only 'thing' is being touched on his back or paws when it isn't on his terms, but he has always been like that since day 1, so after 10 years, don't see it changing!

Have started him (and Charlie Do, his partner in crime) on 'real food' so it can only get better. Do you think I should increase dose still, does he need to continue on the Thuya? Many thanks

Hi Anjali,
"The lady at Holland & Barratt suggested for his weight (21 kilos) 2 of the homeopathic Thuya twice a day (she appears to be very knowledgeable...)"

Dosing with homeopathic remedies is NOT based on the weight of the patient! Potency refers to the dilution of the remedy--if it is diluted 1/10 that is an 'x' potency. If it is diluted 1/100 that is a 'c' potency. If it is diluted 1/1000 that is an 'm' potency, and LM potencies are diluted 1/50,000.

So, remedies are sold as 3x or 6x, or 6c, 12c, 30c, etc. The higher or more diluted the remedy, the STRONGER the effect. And the potency that is given to a patient depends on the VITAL FORCE of the patient NOT the body size of the patient.

Also, the frequency of each dose becomes LESS frequent the higher (or more diluted) the potency.

If Scrappy Do was on Thuya 12c, I would dose it as one pellet by mouth one or two times daily. If a higher potency of 30c or 200c I would only give it one time, and WAIT 3 weeks to observe for a response.

"Am interested in your suggestion of increasing dose to deal with his 'emotional issues'."

With your comments that he 'hates to have his feet or back touched' indicates some type of phobia or fear, which can be a result of vaccinosis, no matter how long he has been that way. And addressing this with homeopathic remedies can sometimes help.

Going up in 'POTENCY' not 'DOSE' is what I was referring to, meaning if Scrappy was on the 12c or 30c than I might go to a 200c. Or even up to a 1M potency. Giving only ONE dose of the higher potency and waiting 3-6 weeks for his response.

I would advise seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian knowledgeable in homeopathic remedies, rather than relying on the lady at Holland and Barrett.

And of course, an improvement in diet will certainly maintain his health!