Bleeding itchy scabs on dog's back

Bleeding scab on back near neck taken on the 2/6/12
original scab on lower back taken on the 2/6/12

I Have a 6 month old pug/jack russel (Jug) with two scabs on his back. The first one appeared a few weeks ago, but he wasn't scratching it and we thought nothing of it. It has since grown and looks like a cluster of dry lumpy scabs. It is also quite thick and he still doesn't really pay attention to it.

The second has appeared within the last couple of days and he has been scratching it incessantly. It is raw and bleeding and there are small chunks of flesh around the wound that i am assuming he has scratched out of the scab. This evening i even found a sliver of skin with his fur attached in his water bowl.

We brought him from a pet shop and his diet consists of dry puppy food and occasionally leftovers or bones. He spends the days outside with an eight year old poodle/chihuahua who does not have much patients and can occasionally get a bit rough, so we initially thought it was possible that the wound near his neck was from fighting. We can't see any puncture wounds. He spends the night inside the house, and we are a little concerned that he may have a contagious skin condition as we also have an indoor rabbit.

Aside from the scratching and scabs/wounds his demeanor hasn't changed and he is still eating well, sleeping well and playing. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you

Comments for Bleeding itchy scabs on dog's back

My Online Vet Response for: Bleeding itchy scabs on dog's back

Hello,
Your 6 month old Jug puppy (Pug/Jack Russell, VERY cute!)
has a "HOT SPOT". This
is not contagious. In many cases, the initial cause is not
known, but with
ongoing itching and self trauma, the skin is prevented from
healing and develops
secondary bacterial pyoderma/scabs/crusts/pus, etc.

The MORE he scratches it, the MORE it will itch, so he
scratches it some more.

The area needs to be bathed with a baby shampoo, or an
oatmeal'>http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-skin-
rash.html#Treatments">oatmeal
shampoo, ONE time daily for at least 7 days. And then
perhaps 2 times per week
for another 2 weeks to make sure it has healed. Towel dry,
and make him wear a
T-shirt to decrease trauma from itchy. (Trim his toenails,
too!)

STOP the dry dog food and get him on canned or even a RAW
diet. See our page on
10'>http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-
options.html">10 Best dog
food options. This will help to increase the moisture
intake. Dry Dog food leads
to dry skin, and that may be what started this problem.

Although, that location is a common area to give vaccines,
so a vaccination
given a few weeks ago may have triggered this condition.

DO NOT feed him COOKED bones--they will break his teeth. RAW
bones are ok, but
NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH.

Hope this is helpful. If he is NOT responding, he should be
seen by a holistic
veterinarian.

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and
clicking the 'click here
to add your own comments' link below.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful,
please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of
the left
margin
. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: This educational advice is based on the depth of
your question and
the picture you submitted. The above should never replace
the advice of your
local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate
your dog in person.

- Dog'>http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-skin-
conditions.html">Dog Skin
Conditions,
rash.html">Dog Skin Rash,
-
Ask'>http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/ask-a-vet-online-
library.html#dogrash">Ask
a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots,
Lesions & Patches
(including itchy skin and mange) Section

Itchy Scab or Hot Spot on Dog NEW

My dog has itchy skin and scabs all over him. I’ve taken him to the vet numerous times they are not sure of what it is either but are treating the symptoms. Here’s what she prescribed. He was given doxycycline (for parasites) 100mg 1.5 tablets twice a day, NuSal T Shampoo (this really helps with the itching), Omega 3 softgels (for skin coat) (www.vitalityvet.com), & glucosamine powder to sprinkle on his food (for arthritis). He is doing a lot better and the itching stops with frequent baths using the NuSal T shampoo.
A few months ago he had a hot spot the size of a baseball that was all red and watery. I gave him Benadryl and it cleared up in 3 days.
Be sure to use only the plain Benadryl formula. Giving benadryl with other combination of meds could be fatal, so be sure to read the box.
Liquid Benadryl is too high in alcohol content to be safely used for animals. Please use capsule or pill form.

Dosage every 8 hours
Dogs under 30 lbs and Cats : 10 mg
Dogs 30-50 lbs: 25 mg
Dogs over 50 lbs: 50 mg

My Online Vet Response for: Bleeding itchy scabs on dog's back NEW

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

PS-the dose for Benadryl in dogs is 1 mg/lb given 2-3 times daily. It is available in 25mg or 50 mg capsules or tablets. The 50 mg are prescription only. The liquid, (children's Benadryl) is 12.5mg per tsp, is usually flavored and difficult to get into dogs. Benadryl is just NOT effective on cats and is not recommended.

Hot Spot Treatment NEW

I use Sulfodene it worked great on my cat and now I use it on my dog. It actually calms her itching down.

My Online Vet Respone for: Bleeding itchy scabs on dog's back NEW

Sulfodene is not a holistic product, therefore I do not recommend its use. Just for your information, I did find that their website states it is NOT labeled for use in cats.

http://www.sulfodene.com/faqs.htm#q9

"Can Sulfodene Skin Medication be used on cats?
No, Sulfodene Skin Medication is only labeled for dogs.

Active ingredients:
2-Mercaptobenzothiazole is the active ingredient in Sulfodene Skin Medication."

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
. Thank you!

Dettol and Foban NEW
by: Bernadine

Our dog had the same we treated it by bathing the area with dettol then pat dry and smearing a light smear of Foban antiseptic ointment on the wound with a piece of gauze over the top healed wonders.

August 30, 2013

Hi Bernadine,

That is great that you were able to clear up your dog's skin problem with Dettol and Foban antiseptics. I would be a bit concerned if your dog licked any of these products, as they are not safe to be taken internally. But if the scabs are in a location where he could not reach, then it would be ok.

The safest would be to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian. Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org.

Question NEW

Did you ever figure this out. My puppy has spots all over that look like this

January 18, 2014

The subscriber submitted the original question and photos back in June 2012.

They have not returned a response to give us an update, so I do not know how their little one is doing. (and they did not fill in their name, so it was done anonymously)

Hopefully, some of my suggestions were helpful, but it would be nice to know!