Bleeding Growth on Dog's Leg is Slowly Growing

by Tom
(Bowie, MD)

Growth Pic 1

Growth Pic 1

Growth Pic 1
Growth Pic 2
Growth Pic 3
Growth Pic 4

My dog Summer has a growth on her leg that has been getting larger over the past couple years. We had it tested about a year ago and were told it was benign.

Summer started scratching, licking it a few weeks ago and it started bleeding. She took it to the vet about two weeks ago, they did more tests and were still fairly sure it's benign. They said they would have to remove it to know for sure, and if it were cancerous might have to amputate the leg.

She took it to another vet for a second opinion and they told her basically the same thing but more leaning away from it being cancerous. They have scheduled surgery to remove it in 2 weeks. It seems that if they can wait 2 weeks it must not be life threatening and we're still wondering if it should be removed.

Summer does not seem to be in any pain, she walks and runs as she always has.

Oh, I forgot, the second vet put her on antibiotics because it did seem to be infected. That was about a week ago. I have read that some growths on older dogs are normal and it's better not to remove.

I was reading about your salve/ointment type treatment called Neoplasene (I think that is the name). Would this be worth trying? Is surgery necessary if it is most likely benign?

Summer is my daughter Amy's dog Summer. I live in Bowie, MD, Amy and Summer live in Wilmington, NC. Summer is 7 years old.

To be very honest, the cost is a factor, my daughter is struggling financially right now, but even more it seems like this might be an unnecessary or possibly detrimental procedure.

Please advise,
Thank you,
Tom S. on behalf of Amy S. and Summer

Comments for Bleeding Growth on Dog's Leg is Slowly Growing

My Online Vet Response for: Bleeding Growth on Dog's Leg is Slowly Growing

September 12, 2014

Hi Tom,

The mass that is on Summer's leg, would be VERY difficult to surgically remove. And to me, (from just looking at the photo) looks more like a malignant mass or possible fungal infection such as Aspergillosis, Blastomycosis, Histoplasmosis, Sporotrichosis or Cryptococcosis. Diagnosis of fungal infection would be with a fungal culture.

Now that it is bleeding, with some open 'wounds' on it, it will be more susceptible to bacterial or other infection. The wrap on her leg looks great, and will certainly help to keep it clean and prevent contamination.

"reading about your salve/ointment type treatment called Neoplasene (I think that is the name). Would this be worth trying? Is surgery necessary if it is most likely benign?"

The Neoplasene ointment needs to be applied and monitored by a veterinarian.

And if the mass is benign, but causes her to lick it and make it bleed, she still needs to have something done.

Here is what I suggest:
1. Locate a holistic veterinarian, discuss all options--homeopathic remedies, Neoplasene, etc. A holistic veterinarian will not usually suggest surgery, unless it is a last resort.
2. NO MORE VACCINATIONS FOR SUMMER (not even Rabies!!) A holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form for her.
3. Adjust her diet to a RAW diet. NO DRY dog food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.
4. NO TOXIC flea or tick products should be used. See our page on natural flea/tick control and check out www.wondercide.com, a natural product made from cedar oil.
5. Immune support

Following the suggestions above, will hopefully allow the 'mass' to stop bleeding. And stay the same size.