Black wart or growth on dog's upper eyelid

by Beth
(Colfax, WI USA)

A few weeks back our dog started to develop a dry circular area above her eyelid. As the weeks progressed, the spot developed into a wart/growth (as seen in the photo).

Can you give us any information on this growth? Is this normal? Will it fall off on it's own?

It doesn't seem to bother her, though I did see her rubbing that area on the carpet once and with her paw. It must feel funny to her - or at least she can see it a bit. She is a one and a half year old Boston terrier. Thank you for any help. Beth

Comments for Black wart or growth on dog's upper eyelid

My Online Vet Response for Black wart or growth on Dog's upper eyelid

Hi Beth,
The photo you sent shows a growth that looks like a wart. But warts do not grow that quickly. Considering her age, location, and how fast it has grown, I am suspicious that it may be a histiocytoma. This is a benign growth that appears on dogs between the ages of 6 months to 2 years old.

From a 'holistic' perspective, it is usually associated with 'vaccinosis' or effects seen after vaccinating. They sometimes grow larger, ulcerate, and bleed, and at this point they are surgically removed by conventional veterinarians. Also, they look similar to mast cell tumors which are not benign. So, they are always sent in for histopath.

As a holistic veterinarian, it would be best to treat her with a homeopathic remedy, like
. Perhaps 12c or 30c potency, and give her 12c one time daily by mouth, (In a human, you are supposed to put the little pellet under the tongue. In a dog, just drop it into the side of her mouth, to let it dissolve) for 3 to 6 weeks.

The 30c would only be given one time, and perhaps repeat one time 3 weeks later. This is also the remedy that would be given to her if it were a wart, or any other type of growth.

I would advise NO MORE vaccinations for her. If she must get a Rabies vaccine, she should be under the care of a holistic veterinarian, to treat her for any side effects that might arise.

Her diet should be fresh and wholesome. NO DRY food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food options, and check out some of the raw dog food suggestions.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area

What happened?
by: Melanie

Hi, my Bostie is showing the exact same symptoms (almost 2 years old and vaccined) We've got an appointment for surgery in two days. Would love to hear what happened to the above Bosties growth? Was it removedsurgically?
Thanks for your feedback! I would just love to avoid a surgery on my little baby!

My Online Vet Resonse for: Black wart or growth on dog's upper eyelid

January 13, 2015

Hi Melanie,
Beth never responded from the suggestions I sent to her back in 2011.

Perhaps you could delay the surgery and follow the same suggestions for your dog?

And subscribe! The original question above was from a subscriber!