Black wart on side of dog's penis

by Simon Meyers
(London, UK)

My dog has what looks like a black wart on the side of his penis. I thought it was a tick at first - but it's clearly not, and it's getting slightly bigger - not dramatically bigger but it's definitely enlarging.

It doesn't seem to be bothering him and it doesn't seem to be painful, but he is aware of it, and I've noticed him licking it - not obsessively but he is sensitive to it being touched/examined.

My dog is a 3-year-old very healthy and normal-weight Standard Schnauzer and eats a mixture of dog kibble and fresh chicken and meat.

Is this a wart that can be treated? Or is it something else? I know I should have it checked out in person but I won't be near a vet until next week.

Comments for Black wart on side of dog's penis

My Online Vet Response for Black Wart on side of Dog's Penis

Hi Simon,
The black 'wart' or growth on your dog's sheath may be a benign pigmented growth, especially if it has been slowly growing over the past 1-2 years, in which case it would be treatable with dog homeopathy.

If you have noticed that it has been enlarging over the past few months, then it may be a malignant growth, and surgical removal would be best with a biopsy submitted to make sure that the entire growth was removed.

In some cases, if this is something that you noticed soon after he had a vaccination, then I would be very suspicious of a condition called 'vaccinosis', and would definitely advise having him treated with homeopathy, and NOT to give him any more vaccinations.

In the meantime, make sure he is on a healthy and wholesome diet to boost his immune system. No DRY dog food, incorporate some steamed vegetables such as green beans and carrots and some fruit, like pieces of apples and/or cantalope (see our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and look for the benefits of a raw diet).

In some cases with these growths (either benign or malignant) I have treated with the topical
homeopathic Thuja Ointment
(homeopathic, not herbal), applied one to two times daily for three weeks. This is a homeopathic remedy for warts and growths, especially those due to the effects of vaccinations.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below:

Thanks for your reply...
by: Simon Meyers

YES he has had a vaccination recently. The rabies one at the beginning of January. I am taking him to the vet Tuesday morning, and have ordered the herbal product as you suggest.

My Online Vet Response for Black wart on side of dog's penis

Hi Simon,
Sounds like a plan. Although there are some other more specific homeopathic remedies to be taken orally for reaction to Rabies vaccination versus Distemper, Parvo, Bordatella or the others. The remedy prescribed depends on your dog's 'constitution'.

For now, meeting with a veterinarian to find out a specific diagnosis is a good start. And the topical Thuya (again, homeopathic not herbal) ointment will not hurt.

Hello there.
by: Jenny

My dog has a 'wart' that looks exactly as your dogs does.
The description matches up perfectly.
May I ask what the vet said it was?

It's started to go down...
by: Simon

To be honest, I have not yet got to the vet with this. I'm away from home for a couple more weeks and besides, it has started to go down. I did use the
homeopathic thuja ointment
though...

Similar symptoms... NEW

Our dog had these similar symptoms and description, we just came back from the vet earlier today and found out it was keratinization (healthy skin cells dry out & become horny nail-like tissue)he had to get it surgically removed. went home same day, has to wear that "cone of shame" for a week and is on meds and antibiotics for 14 days then get his suture out then too. Not cancerous or anything like that. Don't know the exact cause of it, just some dog breeds a susceptible to getting it. But definitely get it checked out by a vet if you notice this right away, just in case. Because we thought our first guess was melanoma.

My Online Vet Response for: Black Wart on Side of dog's penis NEW

August 16, 2013

That is good news that your dog had a benign growth. And fortunate that you were able to find out with a biopsy to confirm it.

"Not cancerous or anything like that. Don't know the exact cause of it, just some dog breeds a susceptible to getting it."

Susceptible individuals, dogs OR humans, are more likely to form tumors, growths, warts, or cancer due to effects from too many vaccinations. This is a condition in the holistic medical field called 'vaccinosis'.

Limiting vaccinations under the guidance of a holistic veterinarian, improving diet, avoiding toxic flea/tick treatments, are ALL important to help the immune system of the individual to AVOID the susceptibility of forming tumors or cancers.