Black Spot on Dog Penis with Excessive Licking

For the past 24 hours, my 30 lb dog has been obsessively licking his penis. It has a black spot on it (embarrassed to say I'm not sure if its always been there or not; don't recall it). Wakes up licking, stops walking to lick....unusual behavior. Hard to distract him. A bit of fluid from it (doesn't appear bloody). Trauma to his penis or a cancer?

Seems to be urinating without a problem (always been a dog who pees a bit everywhere wo fully emptying his bladder). Not lethargic and good appetite. No other symptom except licking and the black.

Thanks.

Comments for Black Spot on Dog Penis with Excessive Licking

My Online Vet Response for: Black Spot on Dog Penis with Excessive Licking

February 23, 2015

Hello,
From the photos you sent, the black spot is either a scab or a growth. I advise you take him in to a veterinarian for an exam. A holistic veterinarian would be best, as more 'natural' treatment methods would be healthier for your dog, depending on what they find.

You may need to place an E-Collar on him in the meantime, to prevent more trauma to the tissue. Soft E-collars, (Trimline), are more comfortable, and will still work to prevent him from licking it. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean it one to two times daily.