Black Mole or Wart on Dog's Leg

by Suzanne
(Ozark, MO, USA)

My dog developed a small wart or mole about 2 months ago. Since then it has grown to the size of my index fingernail. It is black, dull and a little bumpy and not hard or soft. It is on top of her skin.

She is a 10yr. old female shar-pei husky mix.

I am going to take her to the vet but can not right now. Is it an emergency?

Comments for Black Mole or Wart on Dog's Leg

My Online Vet Response for Black Mole or Wart on Dog's Leg

Hi Suzanne,
From the photo you submitted, it certainly looks like a benign wart on the back of your dog's leg. But a typical wart would not grow that quickly, and usually benign warts do not have a 'black' pigment. Usually, they are pink or skin colored.

I would suggest finding a holistic veterinarian to check out your 'whole' dog. See our page on what a holistic vet does, compared to a conventional veterinarian.

Other factors that may have triggered this growth are recent vaccinations or any change in dog food, for example exposure to toxins, preservatives, additives, etc. Check our page on good dog food diets.

Lastly, this may not be an emergency, but I would monitor this wart/growth over the next 2 weeks. If you can document how much it grows over the next 2 weeks, you should definitely make an appointment with a veterinarian, preferably a holistic vet!

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

I did change dog food

I have changed her dog food twice. I also have a pug-chow that is allergic to fleas and something in dog food maybe corn. So I needed to get a dog food with less corn in it.

Same condition

Hello my 10 yr old mix welsh corgi had the same lump, black same size and description on her flank. About 2 months after it formed, I noticed it was gone. A red raised circle with a tiny black center remains. It's like a target board and the center circle is black. I think the raised area is from licking. Can't afford a vet but what I found online points to being benign. If you can add anything it would be appreciated.

What happened
by: Jess

Hi, my Boston Terrier thas the exact same thing on her ear. what ever happened? I have an appointment today for the vet. I'm just worried they will tell me its cancer so im trying to prepare myself. did u ever find out what it was?

Can't afford vet

Sometimes life changes AFTER you have a pet for years. My dog has a mole on her face - that is why I went to this site. I lost my career and then discovered I had breast cancer. I fought the cancer and have "won" so far, but it took what little money I had left - I love my dog dearly, but cannot afford a vet as I once was able to. Yes, rich or poor, people should be able to have a pet!