Black Growth Spot on Dog's Head

by Halle
(Chicago)

My 1 year old puppy had a weird black growth appear on his forehead. I picked it off at first due to a friend telling me too. I believed I got it all off. He bled for a hour or so but it didn't seem to harm him.

About a week later the black spot grew back. It is pretty elevated from the head and rough feeling. Some parts are look more grey color like a scab then others. I did some research and it seems as though it is a wart. I purchased a product called wart off that seems to be helping it to scan faster because it has caster oil in it.

I was wondering what you believed this to be.

Comments for Black Growth Spot on Dog's Head

My Online Vet Response for: Black Growth Spot on Dog's Head

December 3, 2014

Hi Halle,
From the photo you took it looks like a wart. Although, considering his age, and that it started as a scab and grew so quickly, I am concerned that it may be a histiocytoma or a mast cell tumor. See our page on dog warts, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-warts.html.

I suggest you try the homeopathic remedy THUYA (Thuja occidentalis) in ointment form. Apply to the growth TWO times daily for three weeks. If you are unable to locate it at a health food store, try online. http://store.theherbalhealthstore.com/bm0074.html

If this is NOT getting smaller in three weeks, I advise you locate a holistic veterinarian to check him, and do a complete physical exam and workup for vaccinosis. Also, DO NOT give him any vaccines for the next year. (or perhaps have the holistic veterinarian write an exemption form for him.)