Black Fleshy Dog Lip Growth with Dark Center

by Anna
(London, ON, Canada)

dog lip growth - picture 1

dog lip growth - picture 1

dog lip growth - picture 1
dog lip growth - picture 2
dog lip growth - picture 3

I found a large "fleshy" growth with a black center on my dog's lip. It' looks like an artichoke with small peals of skin around the black center almost holding it. It's on the right side and goes out (its not under the skin).

He is eating and playing, he drinks and has regular bowel movements. His personality is no different.

I have noticed it today and I don't think it's been there for long - maybe a week at most.

He was given revolution about two days ago for fleas and ticks, but this thing has sprung up seemingly overnight.

He is a border collie, about 9 years old. He recently went on a diet as he was very over weight... is vaccinated only against rabies.

Comments for Black Fleshy Dog Lip Growth with Dark Center

My Online Vet Response for: Black Fleshy Dog Lip Growth with Dark Center

July 19, 2014

Hi Anna,
This is a benign wart. See our page on Dog Warts,

Since it is located on his upper lip, he probably scraped or rubbed it or even bit it while he was eating and caused it to bleed. The black center is dried blood forming a scab.

I expect it will probably go away on its own in 2-3 months, since the only vaccine you give is the Rabies.

To help it go away faster, you might consider giving the homeopathic remedy Thuya 30C. This remedy is useful for 'vaccinosis' a condition created by giving vaccines. It will cause the appearance of these benign warts and growths. Give him one pellet one time daily for 3 days. You might need to repeat one dose in 2-3 weeks.

Also, I would like to give you some suggestions for his weight problem. Do not feed DRY Dog Food. See if you can gradually switch to a 'healthy' brand of canned food, such as Halo, Spot's Stew for dogs, Nutro, Nature's Recipe, or Pet Guard. I am not sure what brands are available in Canada.

See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider a RAW diet for him,

If he should weigh 50 lbs, feed him 800 calories per day, or ideally divide it into 400 calories TWO times daily.

If his healthy weight should be 60 lbs, then feed him 950 calories per day-- OR-- 425 calories TWO times daily.

Adding a cup of green beans to each meal, will only add 20 calories, and will help him feel more full.