Black crusty or ulcerated lump on dog's ear

by MP
(Orlando, FL)

About 6 weeks ago (4/2012) my dog got a round red bump on his ear. We watched it for a week and tried to squeeze it a little to see if anything would come out but it didn't. The following week it started to turn black with a red perimeter.

It doesn't appear to be oozing, but is now very hard and black/red in color. It is bigger than when it first started out but not getting any larger in this new state.

My dog's eating, bathroom and sleeping habits are not affected. We have him on no grains and have not changed his diet or grooming products. I noticed he shakes his head slightly more than usual.

This dog is a 2 1/2 year old rescue so breed is questionable. He appears to have a little hound, pit and possibly doberman in him and has had no health issues. We have had him for 2 years. There are no other pets in the house, nor am I aware of an injury.

I hope you can help identify this lump. Thank you.

Comments for Black crusty or ulcerated lump on dog's ear

My Online Vet Response for: Black crusty or ulcerated lump on dog's ear

Dear MP,
From the photos you submitted, your dog's age, and the rate of growth of this lump, I suspect it may be a mast cell tumor. These tumors can appear as a single solitary lesion, usually after vaccinations have been given. If they are surgically removed, it seems that more will appear.

Here are some suggestions:

1. No more vaccinations. A holistic veterinarian can write an exemption form for you.

2. Give the homeopathic remedy Thuya 30c or 200c, ONE Pellet by mouth one time daily for 3 days, then STOP, and do not give any more. Wait 3-6 weeks and observe the growth.

3. Diet--continue to eliminate grains, but do not feed DRY DOG FOOD. Look for a canned food or better yet, a RAW diet for him. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

It would be best for a holistic veterinarian to monitor the case. If the Thuya does not completely make this growth go away, there is probably a more appropriate 'constitutional' remedy indicated that will be more obvious to a veterinarian that can examine your dog 'in person'.

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

Cured! NEW
by: MP

Just an update. After about a month of this growth turning completely black and looking like a huge scab it fell off. The ear healed on it's own and there is a little scar where the fur is trying to grow back. Dog seems healthy and unaffected. Thank you for your advice.
MP

My Online Vet Response for: Black crusty or ulcerated lump on dog's ear NEW

Hi MP,
Thank you for the update! That is great news. Sounds like your dog has a pretty healthy vital force to have removed this growth by himself.

'If the body can create it, the body can take it away'. A quote from my teacher, Dr. Richard Pitcairn, author of 'Natural Health for Dogs and Cats'.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us
by clicking the like button at the top of the left
margin
. Thank you!

Ulceration on ear NEW
by: Jessica

My dog has one of these black ulcerations on his ear that is getting larger. In the beginning the spot was smaller I thought at first it was a embedded tick but nothing came out nor was there anything in the area. After reading the response on what it maybe makes sense. My dog was at the Vet about 2 months ago and he did get shots then, the area was not there at that time as I would have said something. I think that area has been there now for about 1 1/2 mths. I plan on making him an appt since it is getting larger, My question is do these procedures for removal of lesions cost alot?? Is this something that can be put off it is about the size of a large pea or should it get attention immediately???

Hi Jessica,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).