Black / Brown Crusty Patches on Dog's Underside

by Lynn S.
(Scranton, PA, USA)

Black / Brown Crusty patches on Dog's Underside - Photo 1

Black / Brown Crusty patches on Dog's Underside - Photo 2

My dog developed a bunch of black / brownish scabs on his underside which flakes off into his fur. I do not see him scratching. They can be as large as a dime and are crusty but peal off easily.

The skin under the scabs is healthy looking or slightly pink. They are on chest and belly, not on his upper side. There are quite a bit of them on him.

I have combed the flakes out of him, but they come back. I have seen flea dirt before and it is not that and does not appear to be dried blood.

At first I thought it was dirt or mud stuck to him. He does lay in the grass and unfortunately my landscaping bushes, tall grass etc. He also actively takes Revolution.

I have not seen any bugs on him and I have looked often. He is an indoor dog, but has a large yard that he is out in for several hours a day intermittently.

He has always been fed Diamond extreme athlete food. Zukes treats, no table food, no soy, wheat, or corn. I did recently give him Pedigree Marrowbone treats.

He did also get a bath approx two weeks ago, I used dog shampoo. It was blue to make the fur whiter, I don't know the brand.

He has been somewhat more lethargic with a slight loss of appetite, but is also limping which I am attributing to a growth spurt (this from his regular vet three weeks ago, when rash was not present).

What do you think it is and what can I do to help him?

Martini is a 10 month old Great Pyrennes.

Comments for Black / Brown Crusty Patches on Dog's Underside

My Online Vet Response For: Black/Brown Crusty Patches on Dog's Underside

August 22, 2013

Hi Lynn,
Martini, your male 10 month old Great Pyrenees dog, has what is called "Puppy Pyoderma". This is similar to 'diaper rash' in a human baby. Small pimples will form in the abdominal area, especially along skin folds where moisture may be trapped. The pimples pop, and leave the circular scabbed, crusty patches that stick to the hair. This can be common in a long hair breed, especially with a thick coat like the Pyrenees. And since puppies have an immature immune system, then stress from growth, vaccinations, neuter surgery, etc can result in disease.

Basically it is a superficial skin infection that is easily cleared up by good hygiene! Start by trimming the hair with clippers. This will allow the skin to dry quicker. Bathe the abdomen with a baby shampoo, (it does not have to be a 'dog' shampoo), rinse well and towel dry. Do this one time per week for 3-4 weeks.

Of course, you should add some raw meat to your dog's diet. NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, Control fleas and ticks with a natural flea/tick preventive such as EVOLV from, made from cedar oil. See our page on Dog Flea Treatment, And seek a holistic veterinarian for ongoing health issues. Also limit the number of vaccinations to the bare minimum. A holistic veterinarian can help.