Best Multi-Vitamin, Calcium & Phosphorous Amounts for Dogs

by Ann

I prepare homemade food for my lhasa apso dog. He is 4 years old and weighs about 19 lbs. He eats chicken/turkey/some beef, sweet potatoes and brown rice, and I have been supplementing his diet with canine omega 3-6.

Should he also have a multi-vitamin and additional calcium and in what amounts?

I have read articles which recommend large amounts of calcium and to avoid phosphorous etc.

Please recommend a good product and amounts for his breed and weight. Would the same rules apply for any breed and weight?

Comments for Best Multi-Vitamin, Calcium & Phosphorous Amounts for Dogs

My Online Vet Response For: Best Multi-Vitamin, Calcium & Phosphorus Amounts for Dogs

February 9, 2015

Hi Ann,

For homemade diets it is important to have both calcium and phosphorus in the correct ratio, usually Ca:P = 1:1 or 2:1 for dogs.

Since meat is high in phosphorus in some cases just the addition of calcium is all that is needed. But a diet that contains vegetables and grains will 'dilute' out some of the phosphorus so a supplement that contains BOTH calcium and phosphorus would be best, in my opinion.

Donald Strombeck DVM, PhD, in his book Home Prepared Dog & Cat Diets, says that adult dogs need 119mg Calcium per kg of body weight per day.

And 89mg Phosphorus per kg of body weight per day.
If your Llaso apso dog weighs 19 lbs (approx 8 kg) he will need:
952 mg calcium/day
712 mg phosphorus/day

Check out Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. This book contains homemade recipes that are balanced, plus a recipe to make a 'multi-vitamin/mineral' supplement with the Calcium and Phosphorus in the correct ratio.

Called 'Healthy Powder'
2 cups nutritional yeast
1 cup lecithin granules
1/4 cup kelp powder
1/4 cup bonemeal (or 9,000mg calcium or 5 teaspoons eggshell powder)
1,000 mg buffered Vitamin C ( or 1/4 tsp as sodium ascorbate)

Mix all ingredients together in a 1-quart container and refrigerate.

Add to each recipe (in his book of recipes) as instructed. Or add to a commercial food as follows:
1-2 tsp per day for cats or small dogs
2-3 tsp per day for medium-size dogs

For your 19 lb Llaso apso, you would add about 2 tsp per day or 1 tsp per each meal two times daily.

Also, make sure you are feeding adequate calories for a 19-20 lb dog. About 400 calories per day, (200 calories two times daily).

If you wish to buy a 'multi-vitamin/mineral supplement try, Canine Whole Body Support by Standard Process,

or Mega C powder from OrthoMolecular Specialty.

The amount to give is on the label for each.